Thread: What else can a psychiatrist do for me?

What else can a psychiatrist do for me?

So i've reached the end of the line now with NHS and considering going to be a private psychiatrist but i really don't know what else they could possible prescribe me... i have debilitating anxiety, have tried SSRI's, SNRI's, anti psychotics with no avail.

I have tried CBT several times but it really doesn't help, i have no idea how in the hell these CBT therapists expect someone with severe anxiety to put any of the stuff they teach into practice effectively...

the one thing i'm on now which does give me a bit of relief is pregabalin which has actually been amazing relief for GAD but no effect on SA whatsoever.

I know they could possible prescribe me klonopin or some other benzos but i am living in the UK which is kind of a benzophobic nation so if the psychiatrist i see doesn't want to prescribe benzos what else is there? Also they arguably aren't a long term solution anyway,

I don't want to waste £250 on a psychiatric consultation just to get nothing out of it because i don't think there is any other medications :/

anyone else here had experience with seeing a psychiatrist in the UK after exhausting all other options with the NHS?

Any advice?

Re: What else can a psychiatrist do for me?

You're looking for external solutions to a fundamentally internal problem. None of which have worked.

Can you give me an example of how "your anxiety" debilitates you?

can you explain what you mean? i understand anxiety is an internal problem but without getting help through external solutions what else is there apart from meditation or mindfulness?

i would wake up every morning having a 'mini panic attack' basically heart beating so fast like 130bpm, it's like just being awake or conscious was too overwhelming.

i would be shitting diorrhea every 5-10 mins purely from anxiety.

since i started taking pregabalin i don't get either of these 2 problems anymore so you can see why i think the right medication is unbeatable in effectiveness.

the only problem is it doesn't help with social anxiety which is why i'm considering going to a psychiatrist, someone who specializes in medication treatment to find something that would help me with social anxiety

wow least helpful forum ever... or maybe everyone is too anxious to give advice

Quote Originally Posted by Senate View Post
    wow least helpful forum ever... or maybe everyone is too anxious to give advice
    That's a bit unfair.

I'm not sure whether there is a specific medication for social anxiety-it's a complex issue which can't be managed solely by popping a pill.

Hi Senate

I have seen a psychiatrist privately and they were helpful. The main difference was being able to spend about an hour and 15 mins with me rather than the 10 mins that most GP's have to stick to. They also have access to private hospitals for intensive therapy etc. You can get referred to these hospitals by the NHS as well so if your psychiatrist does both NHS and private work, which I believe the majority of them do, they may be able to tell you if this is an option? You can of course also see a psychiatrist, quite possibly the same one, through the NHS if referred by your GP etc. The way I look at it is, if you can afford it and it costs you £300 and it helps makes you better then it's a complete bargain, if it doesn't at least you've explored another option?

If we could answer your question we wouldn't be here ourselves.
    adjective SCOTTISH
    exhausted or slightly unwell.
    "I'm feeling a bit wabbit"

Nothing to do with Elmer Fudd

If there was a pill to cure social anxiety I would go all out to get it for my autistic daughter. Sadly it's not as straight forward as that.

Thread Information