Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone over 40 with SA?

Re: Anyone over 40 with SA?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew68 View Post
    I'm 48 and have had anxiety issues since I was a child. It was never diagnosed then as social anxiety, but retrospectively it makes sense and explains my childhood difficulties at school.
    Exactly the same for me. I don't think anyone even knew was SA was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    hi there im 64 this year welcome aboard ,i have had anxiety issues since an early age
    Thanks for the welcome Susie, nice to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveReading View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the charity NoPanic, not to be confused with this one? Their web address is nopanic dot org dot uk. I am a member and got a letter from them this morning, they have found me a place on their telephone recovery group course, 1 hour a week for 12 weeks. I think it's costing me just £15 because I'm a member, plus the phone calls, but I have unlimited minutes on my phone so no problem there. I just thought I would mention it in case it could help someone here too. I get the impression some people who use that charity have it worse than me, e.g. agoraphobia and can't leave the house, but I am sure tackling things over 12 weeks I will make a little bit of progress with my social anxiety. I often wondered what happened to older people with social anxiety, as it's not something people just grow out of (which my parents always hoped would happen with me) in my case I have made a bit of progress and have come to terms with things I can't do (like find a partner, though I did have one long-term relationship).
    Hi No Never heard of them and you can type the web address in correctly if you want there are no rules to say you cant I Mean if it helps you and some people then great I am more of a 'group' situation sort of guy been on own far too long so decided to doing something proactive about it, instead of moopsing around the house feeling sorry for my self And now Iam on my way to recovery which is good, I guess it's the same on here members are going to be at various levels of recovery etc. I take it you are over 40? I wish you well Good luck Cheers

There are a couple of ways I've seen now of getting group or one on one therapy. I really don't think that's right for me at all though. I want to meet people, either a group or one on one, just to talk to and mix with generally. The last think I need is therapy or someone telling me how to do this and that, or talking about "how to help", and giving me advice I don't need. I just want some real decent genuine friends. I think that's all most people want, but it's so impossible to find these days. All everyone wants to do is sit in a pub getting drunk or go on walks with an over 60's group. There seems to be no way for someone my sort of age to meet anyone that doesn't involve booze! It drives me nuts.

Hello I have not long joined this place l have had SA as long as l can remember I am 60 now. I was told l was shy and would grow out of it I am still waiting for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cumin View Post
    Hello I have not long joined this place l have had SA as long as l can remember I am 60 now. I was told l was shy and would grow out of it I am still waiting for that to happen.
    Hi cumin OMG I am sorry to hear this Can I ask who gave you this false damaging information?? My heart goes out to you Have you at least been to see your dr about maybe some therapy etc? You have lost too many years sadly, don't lose any more Best wishes Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cumin View Post
    Unfortunate username!

I was told all sorts of things as a kid, mostly to stay away from bullies (as if that helps) and that people weren't really laughing at me but were telling each other jokes (yea, right). Nobody had a clue back then about anxiety or social problems, or even how to treat young people. I wish I was young now as I think teachers and Parents would lead me up a better path rather than pushing me aside and assuming I must be stupid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information