Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol & Citalopram... Thinking of coming off..

Alcohol & Citalopram... Thinking of coming off..

Helloo all
    This is the first time i've written so really sorry if i sound a bit clueless or have wandered into the wrong forum topic?!...
    I'm writing because I've been on citalopram for 4months now.

I followed the guidance and cut out alcohol completely - although i have never ever had an alcohol dependancy problem. After a month i started to feel brilliant, my anxiety calmed down almost completely and i felt genuinely happy. then i went away on holiday and drank a bit . I felt rubbish and quite hopeless for the next two or three weeks after so i stopped drinking. Then christmas came and again it was difficult to say no all the time to a drink so i decided it was ok. Again i felt quite down and paranoid for the next couple of weeks including new year so i didn't drink.
    I was feeling a bit better and didn't drink for a fortnight then had HALF A G&T and HALF A GLASS OF WINE!!! at the weekend and i'm still feeling bad!?

I'm thinking of coming off citalopram because I'm down more often than not. I may aswell feel like that and NOT take 20mg of this drug every day.
    Having as i said never had a drinking problem, i don't want to feel like i can't ever drink again with friends.

I'm going to the doctors soon to ask her advice but they are never really able to impart a huge amount of knowledge... does anyone have any thoughts??

ps - i've been reading people's thoughts and experiences on this site and think you are all amazing! X

XXX

Hi Ell and welcome to the forum!

It sounds as though you started making real progress which was interrupted by the alcohol. It might be an idea to cut out the drink, just to give yourself a clear break in which to get stronger. It may take a few more months but it doesn't have to be forever. Be patient - you will get better!

Explain what's been happening to the doc when you see her and see what she recommends.

Eeb x

Hi Ell,

A big warm welcome to you. Everyone here is lovely and will help all they can. xxx

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

Hi Ell

I've been on 20mg of citalopram for two months and have not drank since being on them. The reason for this is im a binge drinker i hardly drink but when i do i drink loads usually when i go clubbing so i dont want to affect the meds. It can be boring sometimes but i just think to myself it wont be forever and because the meds ahve made me feel so much better i just enjoy going out with my friends like i used too for me the meds are more important than the booze. if they have helped you i really think you should stick with them and cut the drink as the meds sound like theyr doing there job but sometimes people cant cope with drink and meds. Good luck to you though take care Sarah x

Hi Ell,

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram a day and enjoy a bottle of white wine every lunchtime and maybe another bottle in the evening. I haven't had a beer or spirits in, oh, 3 years or more as I found they did make me feel worse, but wine seems to be ok, more than ok!

I never have a hangover and sleep well (I reckon I'm one of the lucky ones on Citalopram who do?).

If you find the bevvy interferes with the medication, ditch the booze!

Happiness and light to you all,
    'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
    ’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
    Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
    Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
    But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
    I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

Wow Chopper, that's a lot of booze in one day isnt it? Not criticising at all - it's just that I do the best part of a bottle of white wine a night and I thought this was way too much - and probably helping my anxiety along too! Is is because you are young and can handle it?

ladybird

Oh, Ladybird, were I as young as you believe!

I'm a 41 year old Dad, 5'7" and just under 13.5 stone (no idea what that is in kilos!) and have a Scotsman's capacity for the bevvy.

No beer belly now (I was once 18.5 stone! At 5'7"!!) and look better than I have since I was 30.

A funny little aside: When my wife (of Irish descent) go out together I'll order a glass of wine and a pint of Extra Cold Guinness and guess what .... yes, they give me the Guinness and 'er indoors the white wine! Every time! Social stereotyping, eh?

I guess we're all different and our capacity to handle both medication and alcohol will differ. One might be on 10mg and feel terrible after half a beer, or on 10mg and suffer no, immediate, ill effects from 6 pints. I'm on 40mg of Citalopram and have no problems but I'm not advocating anyone mirror me, just don't be afraid to find your comfort level and DON'T exceed it.

Happiness and light to all,
    'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
    ’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
    Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
    Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
    But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
    I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

Good for you Chopper!

Wish you the best!

ladybird

Re: Alcohol & Citalopram... Thinking of coming off..

i have been taking citalopram for two months now and i have noticed that when i drink i feel aweful the next day, really truely aweful, i used to be able to drink lots and the hangovers were bearable but nowdays i feel like im going to die! i think that i will have to not drink at all in the future because of it. but it doesnt say anything about alcohol in the instructions that come with the pills & my doctor didnt metion it either. iam really glad i googled it & found this site & i felt i had to join just to reply to this,

i feel like the booze stops the meds from working and its really hard to try to normalise again after drinking as the adverse effects seem to last for ages! its not fair i wish i had been warned about this from the start! well im off to have a cup of tea! as i think that is about as hardcore as i can be at the moment!

Re: Alcohol & Citalopram... Thinking of coming off..

I have always liked a drink but packed in, in the New Year when I was put on 20mg of Citalopram. Been on it 6 weeks now and have had a real up & down time but getting better. I have a mate at work who has been on 40mg for about 6 months - he feels much better but when he goes out on the beer, all the benefits start to go into reverse! I have given it a wide berth to be honest. Give yourself a chance - you don't *have* to have a drink until you're in a good place, do you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information