Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propranolol advice needed please!

Propranolol advice needed please!

Hello!

I was prescribed propranolol 2 or three days ago for my anxiety and its working! however i really dont feel as though i need the three a day that have been prescribed to me. Although im almost positive my doctor said i could use them "as and when" i need, on the box it says DO NOT STOP TAKING UNLESS INSTRUCTED BY YOUR DOCTOR

eeeeek! what do i do? its 40mg. i really dont want to take 3 a day, does anyone else take this and do they just take it as and when?

thanks in advance!

Re: Propranolol advice needed please!

hi
    do they really work?? my dr wrote me a prescription for these 40mg 3 times a day but i wasnt sure i liked the idea of them as i hear they slow your heart rate??
    i know my dr said you can take them when you want like if you know you are going somewhere that causes you to be anxious you take them an hr before...i have to choose between these and sertraline i just dont know which to go for...have you had any side effects??

I have been taking propranolol 40mg once a day for 10 weeks now. I have also been wondering if its alright to just stop taking them and just take them when I feel I need to.

hi there, I take 40mg 2-3 times a day and have done for the past 16 months or so, I feel better on them than I did before but they don't solve the problem of anxiety for me they just control my fast heart rate and panic attacks to a degree. I would recommend them though but you can change the dose yourself but don't stop taking them. I take between 2 and 3 a day but usually just 2, 3 on a really bad day. x

Quote Originally Posted by mrsfay View Post
    Hello!

I was prescribed propranolol 2 or three days ago for my anxiety and its working! however i really dont feel as though i need the three a day that have been prescribed to me. Although im almost positive my doctor said i could use them "as and when" i need, on the box it says DO NOT STOP TAKING UNLESS INSTRUCTED BY YOUR DOCTOR

eeeeek! what do i do? its 40mg. i really dont want to take 3 a day, does anyone else take this and do they just take it as and when?

thanks in advance!
    I have been taking 40mg 1X per day for quite a few years. It took a couple of weeks before I really felt it working. I have tried to go off of it a couple of times, tapering down to one every other day, every third day, etc. I felt my symptoms returning after just a few days so I have stayed on the medication. Not good to just quit this medication. Withdrawals can be dangerous. I hope that if you did start taking it that it has lessened your anxiety and has improved the quality of your life. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan246 View Post
    I have been taking propranolol 40mg once a day for 10 weeks now. I have also been wondering if its alright to just stop taking them and just take them when I feel I need to.
    Hi Nathan:
    This medication doesn't work by just taking it when you feel the need. It needs to build up a level in your system to be effective. I hope it has worked for you!

I take this medication too, I take 40mg daily but I can take it up to 3x a day if needed, so i'd only take a second or 3rd doze when things got really bad. I take it along side my citalopram (40mg daily also).

Im quite new to the beta blocker, this is my 3rd week but my Dr did say that I can vary through the amount of times I take it a day (up to 3x ) as long as I dont just stop taking it altogether.

I take it as well, though I have never heard that one should take it "as and when needed". I had slightly high BP and it was prescibed for that and as an additional tablet for anxiety.

My Doc said that it was ok to just stop taking them but the reason she advised that I taper is because I might get a rush of adrenaline as propranalol stops your body reacting so strongly to adrenaline by shaking, heart racing etc
    Propranalol is also used for heart problems/high blood pressure etc and so if you had been prescribed the drug for heart issues and stopped taking it altogether then it would certainly be dangerous BUT if it's just for anxiety then you can safely go from taking it regularly to as and when
    glad it's working for you

I'm taking propranalol and whilst it takes down my heart rate somewhat, I still get that sudden 'Whoosh' in my chest. Does anyone else get this?

Hi I take mine as and when needed on doctors orders. I was put on 40mg x 3 a day to start with then tapered down after about 2 months because I felt I needed a bit of extra help so went onto Fluoxetine. The doctor said to just keep them and take as and when if I need calming. I also got some diazempam off her because I suffered bad side effects to fluoxetine in weeks 2-3.

I think as and when is fine provided you havent been on them for quite a while (which you havent) so no need to taper for you. If in doubt just ring your GP though.

Propranolol can be prescribed as an occassional med as well like to take 30mins before you have to give a presentation etc so it should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information