Thread: Hello I'm New...oh and diazepam

Hello I'm New...oh and diazepam

Hi All - I am familiar to forums like this,however I have chosen this one for a reason.
    I have suffered with anxiety for as long as I can remember and also insomnia. In my early 20's (I'm 45 now!!) I started to use alcohol to help me sleep. Cut a long story short, worse thing I could do and I had to detox which was utter hell.
    Then I discovered zopliclone - my GP prescribed it as I was having surgery and guess what - not sleeping! Every month for over 2 years she gave me these tablets telling me they were not addictive -so wrong.
    To cut a long story short I ended up taking too much and I am now coming off diazepam (they swapped the zopiclone for diazepam as the latter stays that much longer in the body).
    However this is the hardest thing I've had to do. I've joined benzo sites but the people there were just pretty harsh on me to be honest and I read some really miserable stories.
    I am hear to try to address my underlying anxiety without the need of medication (and definitely NOT alcohol).
    I'm not going to ramble on about my withdrawal otherwise I find I can get consumed with it. Basically I've lost 10 years of my life to anxiety/drugs and I want to be well!! Having read some positive stories on this site I feel this is the best place for me to start.
    I'm really glad I found this site. I lost my partner through all this, but for some reason I've managed to keep working all through this which has been hell at times but I'm not giving into this anxiety and I need structure and distraction in my life - as hard as it it. It's made me realise what a strong person I am and hopefully we can share positive ideas and thoughts amongst each other.
    Thanks so much for reading my profile.

Hi Louisa1965

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Hello I'm New...oh and diazepam

Hello Nicola, thanks for the warm welcome.
    I very much like the signature (quote) you have written - how
    true it is!!
    I work full time (wish I didn't) so I will have a good look at the site later on.

Again, thanks

Hello Louisa,

Welcome to nmp. Yes, you are a strong person, very strong. You have been through the mill and you have a good insight as to why you feel like you do. You should give yourself a pat on the back for coming through all that, it must have been a nightmare. You will get a lot of comfort and support on this site from many people who have gone through or are going through what you have. Have you read any of Claire Weeke's books? Her method of coping with anxiety is with acceptance of how you are feeling and not having to depend on drugs to get you there if you don't want them. I've had her book for many years and it helped me so much when I was at my worst. I even used to write things down from it and read it in the office toilet when I felt like running a mile. I wouldn't part with it. You cannot go wrong if you follow her advice. I've had a wee setback after many years, mostly because of exhaustion, but I've had a read at the book again and I know I'm on my way back to my old self. Setbacks make us stronger. There's lots of information on here too that you can read over. I think you are on the way to recovery already as you seem to have the right attitude. I wish you well.
    Myra

Hello there

Welcome to NMP! theres lots of helpful information here.

Its really good to have you with us!

You will have lots of love and support here!! welcome.

When you want it
    It goes away too fast
    Times u hate it
    It always seems to last

to NMP Louisa. You will find comfort and support here.

Veronicax

Thread Information