Thread: Ergophobia or what?

Ergophobia or what?

Hi there,
    I'm 36 and I am an IT freelancer since 2012, and lately (more than 1 year) I noticed that my work started to cause problems. I just do not want to work! Sometimes I feel that I like my job, but sometimes I understand that I really get bored of this business. And, no matter what the mood right now, it happens that I just cannot see my workplace and my laptop right up to the fact that my head hurts and I feel dyspnea. Previously, more frequent breaks and holidays helped (I could afford a little more than a hired worker). But here it was the end of Christmas and New Year holidays, but I'm till there. With such regress, I'll soon be without money! Someone would say that it's just laziness. Moreover, I do not need to feign illness, because I just do not have a boss (clients only). And I think that my symptoms are too grave for ordinary procrastination.
    So what is it? I Googled a little, but I did not find anything single-valued. In addition, I realized that a search in Google can lead to an answer that I'm mortally ill (heh). What do you think?

Re: Ergophobia or what?

Ok, let me analyse it by myself.
    Definition from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergophobia : "Ergophobia or ergasiophobia is an abnormal and persistent fear of work (manual labor, non-manual labour, etc.) or finding employment. Ergophobia may also be a subset of either social phobia (presents in some form in my case) or performance anxiety (not sure). Sufferers of ergophobia experience undue anxiety about the workplace environment (oh, yeah. It's me.) even though they realize their fear is irrational. Their fear may actually be a combination of fears, such as fear of failing at assigned tasks (not sure), speaking before groups at work (both of which are types of performance anxiety) (100% my case, though I work at home now), socializing with co-workers (a type of social phobia) (it was rather complicated to communicate when I used to work at the office, but there were more introvert persons every time), and other fears of emotional, psychological and/or physiological injuries.
    So, khhmm, IDK... Looks like I myself pulled myself out of the office to communicate less, and now it turned against me.

I think we all suffer from it.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I think that you don't have a phobia right now.

Thread Information