I have had panic attacks over a year now. I can prevent them completely, unlike many. This is because I only get them in my car. And only with me being the driver.

Yet, I have read a number of books on panic and anxiety. Most of them address only agoraphobia. I do not have that. I can go anywhere, fly a plane half way around the globe. No panic.

So I have panic attacks and I can do something. I know the routes I drive inside out. So I only drive stretches of freeway where there is a place to get off and get to work some other route. Outside of town I can pull off the freeway and stop on the shoulder for a bit. If the police come by I will say that I am having a migraine and just took the pill. Panic might make them panic!

But back to the general problem, yours too. The newest approach, after cognitive therapy, is to not fight the panic. You have had dozens of these, maybe hundreds. So you know you usually do not faint, and you never have died of it. Find a chair, a bench. Use a cell phone to talk to somebody. Just spend ten minutes doing nothing.

You have anxiety and will for the rest of your life. Don't make anxiety be your life, there is more of you.

This is not the same as ignore or fight it or be embarrassed. It is still there. Just go with it. It is there but it is not all of you.

Take care.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

This is the book I just started, but many many more follow the same. It is 15 dollars on amazon US
The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy [Paperback]
John P. Forsyth (Author), Georg H. Eifert (Author)

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

This is a book on Amaxon UK. I did not like it all that much for me (red 2/3 of the Kindle book), as it had mostly self esteem and depression as an underlying theme. I don't have those. But it has the same don't fight approach to agoraphobia.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Embracing-Fe...ref=pd_sim_b_7