Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopram and Diazepam

Citalopram and Diazepam

Looking for some advice and input from you guys n' gals from anyone who has started taking Citalopram and been given Diazepam aswell.

I started one week ago taking 10mg citalopram and as my GP is aware my anxiety is extreme said he wanted me on a course of 4 x 5mg of Diazepam to be taken throughout the day until the cit gets into my system. Spoke to him again yesterday and he wants me to go up to 20mg cit as of this coming Monday.

My two concerns are that I'm through the roof even on 10mg of cit and although I've only used Diaz in past if very bad(had to be persuaded sometimes to take it from family or medical staff as I'm against Diaz) I'm scared of becoming addicted to it especially when I increase my cit next week.

For a few days now I've tried only taking 3 x 5mg which Doctor says is my choice to take 3 or 4. He knows my concerns of Diazepam addiction.

Basically looking for anyone who has went through a similar introduction to Citalopram and has any advice to offer.

Thanks

Re: Citalopram and Diazepam

Hey,

I have taken citalopram in the past and taken diazepam due to the side effects it causes.

Firstly I am a bit concerned (even though I am not a GP) that your GP has suggested upping to 20mg so soon.....especially if your anxiety is through the roof?? I would of though he/she would of wanted to wait until it had settled a little before increasing.

Secondly, dont be afraid to take the diazepam...when I took it when I actually couldn't cope without it rather than on a regular basis, that way I knew I wouldn't become addicted to it. Taking it short term is fine, its when you take it regularly and long term that it is difficult to come off.

I hope that has helped and am sure you will get plenty of responses as there are lots on here taking cit.

Good luck with it all...it will really help once in your system and working.

TC
    JO.xx

oh my god....you are in the same dilemma that i am in...so i will await the responses.
    i am on cit 20mg since the 9th july....and my panic/anxiety is high...i have been given diazepam to see me through until the meds kick in....they havent yet.
    im not sure if i should ask the doc to increase my cit meds or should i just pop a diazapam as and when needed....if someone can help me as well as glasgow guy it would be oh so appreciated....glasgow guy....i am also scared of addiction.....but they just calm all my panics away.....so i just dont know xxxx kindest regards tracey xxxxx i know i am a complete pain...so sorry for posting so many times - i do hope you are all not getting sick and tired of me xxxxxx

I can't offer any advice on the diazepam, btu I can say that for me on 10mg CIT the anxiety did not start to ease until around day 14. I stayed on that for 16 days and have been on 20mg for 5 days now and have an increase in anxiety again although this time I know it is the tablets and not the anxiety itself.

I woudl agree with JT69. 20mg may increase it even further at them moment.

Hi,
    i have been on 20 mg cit since the start which was just under 9 weeks ago.
    I was also precribed 15 mg of diazapam at the same time.
    I too was very anxious about taking both becoming addicted etc etc.
    But so far for me it has worked out well with no side affects and i have gradunally reduced my diazapam usage which went down to zero mg for 2 weeks and now i,m running around on between 2-6 mg a day depending on how i,m coping. Its not always a straight path 3 steps forward 1 step back etc etc

So i have to say that they have worked fantastically well for me and i was not aware how much of an instant feel good factor the diazepam bring for extreme anxiety.
    I am very much on the recovery but i,m still fragile in some respects and like this week for example where i have been pitching for 2 new pieces of work my stress and anxiety levels have gone up again which becuase my nerves where so shot to bits i,m navagating through the stress and tension i,m expereincing if you know what i mean.
    There are more ways to feel good other than the above drugs
    excercise
    good diet
    vitamins
    relaxation
    meditation
    The above defo aid the recovery process

I,m in Glasgow to so if you ever want to talk we could chat on the phone - its always helpfull to speak with others in the same boat and there is NHS help ( not that widely known about ) and charity organisations that i can make you aware of that can help you get to a better place and aid you.

Best
    J
    Last edited by JC; 04-08-10 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by calm View Post
    oh my god....you are in the same dilemma that i am in...so i will await the responses.
    i am on cit 20mg since the 9th july....and my panic/anxiety is high...i have been given diazepam to see me through until the meds kick in....they havent yet.
    im not sure if i should ask the doc to increase my cit meds or should i just pop a diazapam as and when needed....if someone can help me as well as glasgow guy it would be oh so appreciated....glasgow guy....i am also scared of addiction.....but they just calm all my panics away.....so i just dont know xxxx kindest regards tracey xxxxx i know i am a complete pain...so sorry for posting so many times - i do hope you are all not getting sick and tired of me xxxxxx

It does take time for them to help. I know how you feel. Hang in there.

Well is day 13 since starting back on Cit and up to 20mg of cit today after being on 10mg. Cut back further on Diaz over weekend to one on Saturday and two yesterday kinda bracing myself for the 20mg going into my system.

I know being in this worried state before it even begins is bad but I'm dreading it. My GP is off on hols this week and don't see him again until start of next week. Just worried about this 'high as a kite' feeling I get.

I've been there before with cit going onto it but didn't feel as bad first time around. Oh the joys lol.

I've just started on 20mg Cit without diaz. Having bad headaches. Was it the same with you? Feels like my head is going to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy head View Post
    I've just started on 20mg Cit without diaz. Having bad headaches. Was it the same with you? Feels like my head is going to explode.
    I know its a side effect I aint suffered too bad so far from it. I've had the odd fleeting headache. Is more probs with my nerves but I'm a worrier anyway.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information