Thread: Arm numbness and fingers useless

Arm numbness and fingers useless

My arms go numb like a complete dead arm and my fingers go very clumsy and hard to control. The stiffen up but not painfully. sometimes for hours at a time. I would love for someone to tell me this happens to them too. I have been booked for neurologist but no for another 3 weeks and I am going absolutly crazy with panic, because the GP said " I cant tell you its not the start of something" as in MS.

When I do use my hands or arms the muscles ache like I've been lifting weights.

I'm terrified

Re: Arm numbness and fingers useless

I have something similar. Sometimes it's hard for me to even type. I believe mine has to do with my tight neck and shoulder muscles. My arms and fingers are being affected as well. I have had arm fatigue for a long time. Just folding laundry is sometimes hard.

Yes I get this about once a day. My arms go numb, my wrists go weak and I feel like I can't do a lot with my hands.

I have enormously tight neck and shoulder muscles and this could be a factor here. My arms feel heavy and sort most of the time.

Gareth

Your symptoms would be entirely inconsistent with MS.

This type of presentation can be from something called Thorascic Outlet Syndrome, wherein nerve compression occurs when the arms are in a certain position. The condition, however, is typically unilateral and rarely presented bilaterally. If both arms are being affected, this would be more likely due to somatoform related to intense stress or anxiety.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Hi All

I get this too the neck the shoulders the arms everything

Thanks so much RLR i found your reply very comforting

Thanks for your replys its amazing how much stress is releived by someone saying they understand or have the same thing.

Ihad a massage and the dead arm thing has stopped. But I still have weak wrists and clumsy hands. And i seem to 'vibrate' my arms, hands, and face. Its lilke a fast tremor.

Ihave essential tremor in my family. My hands shake when I'm nervous but I guess most people do that. But this is getting constant now, and the shake is very fine, like a vibration.

Also in the last couple of days the muscles in my neck, the ones you use to swallow right underneath your chin and on both side of my windpipe feel really fatigued, like it takes extra strenghth to swallow. It comes and goes. Could this be like the neck thing just a strain?

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly00 View Post
    My arms go numb like a complete dead arm and my fingers go very clumsy and hard to control. The stiffen up but not painfully. sometimes for hours at a time. I would love for someone to tell me this happens to them too. I have been booked for neurologist but no for another 3 weeks and I am going absolutly crazy with panic, because the GP said " I cant tell you its not the start of something" as in MS.

When I do use my hands or arms the muscles ache like I've been lifting weights.

I'm terrified

Hi I too am suffering from something similar, I wake up with a numb arm and hand. My physiotherapist thinks it is a trapped nerve in my neck even though I do not have any pain or trouble with my neck. He has given me exercises to do in between sessions. I hope the neurologist has some answers for you soon. Easier said than done but try not to panic too much

Thread Information