Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoga or pilates

Yoga or pilates

Anyone doing this, i would like to do this for my social phobia to relax me. And stop me being so tense all the time.

Stu

Re: Yoga or pilates

I just didn't get Pilates at all but loved fitness Yoga!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I rather like both but yoga's the one I seemed to have really stuck with.

Piglet

I do pilates, though I feel any group exercise is good for anxiety.

Like Nic, I never got Pilates. Could never get the hang of it. I do hatha yoga from time to time. Probably could do it more though. Easier than pounding around the gym!

Hello !
    I think pilates is just posh-yoga ! It seems to embrace all the same exercises. I found yoga classes devote more muscle-relaxation time. Both are good - stick with whichever class you are most comfortable with and practise regularly.
    Be kind to yourself

I used to practice and teach both yoga and Pilates when I was well - O that seems so long ago now!

There are many different forms of yoga but most concentrate on breathing and particular postures e.g. The Cat, The Tree, Salute to the sun etc. Pilates tends to be more physical and can use other aids such as balls, bands and even pilates machines. If you find yoga easy then Pilates can be a great next step.

Try out both if you can and stick with the one you feel more comfortable with. Yoga tends to be more relaxing and classes often have a relaxation session at the end.

Mind you, both are great for body and mind - so try them out and see what you think.

Best of luck - Janice xx

Hello.

I've never done Pilates but have done a couple of Hatha Yoga classes now and I'm really enjoying it.

Janice - what is cat? All we seem to do is 'go up into Dog' and 'Warrior' 1 & 2! Oh, with the occasional bit of 'Childhood' when everyone needs a rest.

I don't really have social phobia, but I was worried what people would think of me, since I'm not particularly fit or flexible. So far, I've had no worries with that. It's mixed ability, so it's ok to be brilliant or rubbish

The class I go to starts off slowly and finishes with a relaxation section, which is really nice - and definitely works!

Give it a go and see how you get on!

xxx

Pilates was developed very recently compared to yoga which has been around for a very long time. Some may even say that Joseph Pilates "nicked" some moves but I couldn't possible comment!!

Pilates is very much focused on the "core" muscles working on the theory that good core stability is the foundation stone of good posture and health. It tends to follow a fairly set routine and will involve various levels of the same posture depending on your exisiting strength and experience.

Yoga, I would say, is a much broader discipline. It really covers too much to go into here quickly but it tends to place much more focus on breathing techniques, it can go into cleansing techniques and has a spiritual dimension (but not in the religious way that we would associate with the term "spiritual").
    There are a few different styles these days.
    Ashtanga seems to be the favourite of sports centres and gyms. It is a dynamic and quite intense physical session involving lots of Salutations to the Sun etc.
    Hatha tends to be more sedate and relaxing.

In my experience the teacher makes all the difference. So it's near impossible to say one thing is better than the other. It's a case of try different classes and see what suits your needs really.

My daughter and I tried pilates and I ended up looking like a turtle stuck on its back!!!
    IT WASN'T PRETTY!!!
    LOL
    Would love to try yoga but the only tapes I have ever seen are more advanced ones and HECK I DON'T BEND THAT WAY!!!
    No gumby here!!!!

Now if I could find a yoga tape for unfit uncoordinated top heavy women with bad backs I might try it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information