Thread: Weird spasm in centre of chest after exercise

Weird spasm in centre of chest after exercise

Hello guys, so I've had this in and off spasm in the centre of my chest that literally comes out of nowhere and sometimes takes my breath away because of the weird factor. It usually worsens during times of stress.

Yesterday was the first day I started using my treadclimber which is a high intensity cardio work out. My heart rate can reach up to 177bpm on this thing. However, I don't feel these chest spasms while I'm on it. As soon as I finish my workout I start to feel them. The thing is, I also go into the gym once a week for Zumba which can also be high cardio intensity but I don't get this afterwards.

Could it just be my stress levels on the machine? It's in my basement and at times I have anxious thoughts while using it. Not sure if that could be related. Either way, once I'm done exercising the spasm becomes worse when I take deep breaths and move my arms.

Re: Weird spasm in centre of chest after exercise

I don't know if what you are having is the same as what I get. The first time I got it in my chest I thought I was having a heart attack. Had all the tests and they figured that it was just muscle spasms in my chest. The only thing that stops an attack is to drink lots and lots of ice cold water. Stops an attack real quick. I think that when I am stressed it will happen. Probably having Parkinson's doesn't help either.

I'm having problems with my chest weird spams/palpation heart stopping /not breathing feeling I freak out this happens when I'm not doing exercise too
    I no longer exercise because I freak out my heart rate goes so fast and I'm Dizzy I have had echo and 24 hour holter all come back normal it's crazy !

Hello Guys! Thanks for the response.
    I've posted about this on here for a while and this is the first time anyone has ever had something exactly like this. I'm feeling better to know I'm not alone.

I'm definitely going to try to drink some ice cold water. It can sometimes feel so scary, and just like you, Woody, I thought I was having a heart attack...are yours fast, quick, and don't last very long?

Stars, does yours happen when you're anxious at all? Mine seems to becomes worse when my anxiety is high. However, I've had moments where it just comes out of nowhere. One time I was asleep and the sensation woke me up out of sleep

Hi there,

Have you tried stretching the area? Usually, this helps my spasms.

Eating food rich in magnesium or taking supplements really helps, too.

Tale care

Hi Jenn

Mine are all the things that you describe. They don't usually last long, as long as I drink cold water. Have you seen the doctor about them? If they are just muscle spasms, then try the cold water and let me know if it works. Really hope it helps, because it is a nasty problem.

My attacks have happened when I am stressed, or sleeping in bed, or for no reason at all. I also find if my house gets too hot I can get an attack. Stress is a big killer, and there is so much of it in our lives.

You all know that blood flow is your heating and cooling system, so there you are, your heart wants to pump blood to carry the heat away but wants to slow down so it doesn't get so much oxygen. Breath slower and drink the cold water, your stomach has more blood vessels than any other part of your body except your lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilym80 View Post
    Hi there,

Have you tried stretching the area? Usually, this helps my spasms.

Eating food rich in magnesium or taking supplements really helps, too.

Tale care
    I haven't tried stretching, to be honest. I kind of try to just sit still until it goes away as it really scares me. But I will try next time

Actually, I'm glad because the last three times I Worked out on my machine I decided to clear my mind and watch some tv while doing it and I haven't been getting the sensation.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wooodyp View Post
    Hi Jenn

Mine are all the things that you describe. They don't usually last long, as long as I drink cold water. Have you seen the doctor about them? If they are just muscle spasms, then try the cold water and let me know if it works. Really hope it helps, because it is a nasty problem.

My attacks have happened when I am stressed, or sleeping in bed, or for no reason at all. I also find if my house gets too hot I can get an attack. Stress is a big killer, and there is so much of it in our lives.
    Hello Woody,

I did try the water thing and I think it actually helped! I'm also pretty surprised because the last three times I worked out it stopped happening. I used to think they were palpitations, and of course with my fear of doctors I Haven't really said anything about it to mine. I'm kind of leaning towards what you have as it mostly happens during times of stress.

Thanks again for responding!

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    You all know that blood flow is your heating and cooling system, so there you are, your heart wants to pump blood to carry the heat away but wants to slow down so it doesn't get so much oxygen. Breath slower and drink the cold water, your stomach has more blood vessels than any other part of your body except your lungs.
    Will definitely try to relax and drink more water.

Thanks for replying!

Thread Information