Thread: Gabapentin

Gabapentin

Hi i have noticed a few threads about Gabapentin but they are oldish.

My doc wants me to start taking Gabapentin for my anxiety but I am concerned by the extra long list of side effects considering it is not really used for anxiety as it says on wiki "Gabapentin has limited usefulness in the treatment of anxiety disorders".

At the moment i am self treating with saint johns wort (it is helping) but i am still in a state of high anxiety unless i am in the safe area of my house

So my question is, is anyone using gabapentin at the moment or recently that can comment on the drug.

Re: Gabapentin

As it happens a good friend of mine is taking Gabapentin three times a day for peripheral neuropathy (I think about 1200mg a day in total but I am sure it's more). She has no major side effects at all I can recall, if no-one else here can help you directly then I'd be pleased to ask her about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenious View Post
    As it happens a good friend of mine is taking Gabapentin three times a day for peripheral neuropathy (I think about 1200mg a day in total but I am sure it's more). She has no major side effects at all I can recall, if no-one else here can help you directly then I'd be pleased to ask her about it.
    Hi Ingenious.

Thanks for the offer to ask your friend would be helpfull, as i understand everyone if different and medication effects everyone in different ways just nice to find out if anyone has any knowledge,
    I do suffer from muscle twitching which is a form of neurological disorders callled benign fasciculation syndrome and other aches and pains so maybe a helpfull medication.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremx View Post
    Hi i have noticed a few threads about Gabapentin but they are oldish.

My doc wants me to start taking Gabapentin for my anxiety but I am concerned by the extra long list of side effects considering it is not really used for anxiety as it says on wiki "Gabapentin has limited usefulness in the treatment of anxiety disorders".

At the moment i am self treating with saint johns wort (it is helping) but i am still in a state of high anxiety unless i am in the safe area of my house

So my question is, is anyone using gabapentin at the moment or recently that can comment on the drug.
    I was on Gabapentin 400mg daily in 2007, as I remembered, but been on it for only 3 days, coz I developed irregular heart beats whenever I was lying down on my bed.
    It disappeared when The Doc stopped it.

That was my experience.

Well, everyone reacts differently to even the same medication, and the best advice to get is from your doctors who knows your condition better.

Kind Regards,
    Dave

Hi have decided not to take gabapentin, I am working with my local Community mental health team who have suggested some others to try.

Thread Information