Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random memories popping in my head

Smile Re: Random memories popping in my head

Hi Starry,

Same thing has been happening to me recently, thats why I googled it and came across yr question. For me, the memories are of good old times about 20 years ago!! They start off happy then inside I feel sad that its gone and I begin to miss it, and long to be there again and wished I could have relived it differently as some memories I remember then become what I missed out on, which turns my sadness into mild panic cos of wanting to change past but can't! The only thing I can put it down to is feelings of regret which makes me feel even more sad and powerless. I guess reason I must be looking back in my past is because I'm not happy in my life now or I need closure for that time in my life, which centres around one person in particular who made me feel wanted. So I guess my issue is at the moment I don't feel wanted. Getting closure may not be possible in real life with that person but I think I could talk to a friend who could act that person out, and in a way counsel myself away from them. I am a Christian as well, so I believe that our thoughts can be tormented purposely to rob us of today and joy, and I also believe that we can develop soul ties with people we have emotional connection with, and if no longer good connection then it can and should be severed by the powerful cross of Jesus. I'm going to pray about my memories as memories are only good if they are not so persistent and troublesome. Hope my situation might help u to find what u need to do to get free from this torment... Jesus heals every area of our life, even our past. Don't go into any past life regression stuff as that is a complete lie, and any relief will only bring more bondage elsewhere.

Smile Re: Random memories popping in my head

P.S. in reference to my last comment about 'good old days'... even though we think they were good old days, the truth is actually, good old days don't truly exist! We often see our past through rose tinted glasses, but they were no different to today. We think our past is better than our present because we choose to remember what we think was a happy time but in fact it was mixed with hard times just like our today are. So best to come to terms that our past isn't as great as what we recall. There is a good saying that when u are finding it hard to get over a relationship that u should try to see them again and yr'll probably wonder why u cried so much over them as u are more than likely to remember them more good looking than they really are! ;-) past memories can have a funny way of deceiving us! ;-)

Re: Random memories popping in my head

Check out this link... hope it might help give some understanding to our emotions and memories.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobiographical_memory

Reply overload!!!! Hehe! I just found this scripture in the bible....

This sums up how we can stop getting depressed from our supposed past good memories....

Ecclesiastes 7:10 NIV

Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?"
    For it is not wise to ask such questions.

I'm gonna try and go to sleep now! ;-)

ONE FINAL COMMENT....!

God doesn't want us to live in past and live in regret cos he causes all things to work for good to those who love him and are called to his purpose. Romans 8:28

And he also says 'For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper u and not to harm, plans to give u a future and hope. Jeremiah 29:11

God always restores better than it was before... the good days are for now and each day on!

Hey Christine, thank you for feeding back - some of your comments were really useful. I still have memories popping in my mind, I always had this all of my life. I do have happy times, but you are right, we choose to remember the good times, but the past also have bad times too. My best memories is of the Millennium time.... but it has gone for good and things are more harder now, because of the economic crisis and also recent natural disasters. I think you're right, I remember having bad times and good times in the past, I refuse to think of bad times... the good memories keep popping in my mind and I miss them so much. I think it's because I'm becoming more older.

Also thanks for sharing your religious views but am afraid that I am an atheist. My mum brought us up to be atheist, also I am sure the members here has their own beliefs too, so they might find your comments about God useful.

Take care, and thank you for commenting on my thread.

Starry xx

Oh 'mental time travel' is so adept for this thread - describes my memories perfectly... makes sense - it's like jumping to different times in my mind, without using a time machine. Useful link - thank you!

Starry xx

Hi Starry,

I have gotten this recently. But I think its because Im getting more Spirituality awareness... It's so bizzare! I don't quite understand it at all. Look at the certain people around you; is it a workmate? Is it two friends that trigger it off? I believe it's their energy fields that might be messing with us a bit and our usual brain waves :-p There is two guys in my class that seem to trigger off memories (especially the one guy) that have been way long forgotten!!!....I have forgotten my childhood from the age of 5 and under...my best friend had to recall my memories..she remembers things I did better than me haha....I remembered such an old memory with the two of them sitting there. It may be paranoia, but I believe they are somehow triggering my memory. Sometimes, I get random thoughts that I do not think are my own...perhaps we are viewing other people's memories/thoughts and we're not allowed to impose so maybe they collaborate into one strange-ass image!. I remembered something today that was slightly disturbing that I hoped and prayed it wasn't my memory...and guess what? One of the guys that triggered that whilst sitting there next to me.
    It's true! They really do just pop up at the most random, normal, busy times! Well have you heard that every four seconds a new thought comes into mind? It's also called Intrusive Thoughts what your thinking of. Wise Geek did an article, but it's all BULLSHIT. When I smoke weed, its so much worse...!! Especially the memories, I don't even know if their true though which makes it worse!! Do you ever get memories that you aren't too sure if their true?. So don't smoke it!!!

Has the middle of your forehead been buzzing lately? Then it's all the energy going to your third eye and maybe your experiencing something of it...because I have learnt to focus all my energy to the middle of my forhead, and when I do the random thoughts/memories pop into my head. But enough of my crazy spirituality - its far out..!!

It's pretty annoying, though...but I think these random images may be you intruding on other peoples thoughts, maybe? That's my theory if it...but sometimes I think it could be the person sitting next to you...maybe they know or maybe they dont haha...

I sometimes get angry and frustrated with myself because I do not have answers or anyone to reassure me that I am not crazy or going insane...

Good luck xx

Hi there, anxiety make us more sensitised to everything, a non anxious mind will still get memories popping in at random times but it just ignores them. An anxious mind might starts to try and attach meaning to them and pay more attention to them, also anxious people want to be in control of their thoughts as we are sick of it racing along at 100 mph so intrusive thoughts and random memories will disturb and scare us. Just try and a knowledge the memory and say to yourself it is your anxiety that is making it seem a big deal when really it isn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information