Thread: Chest pains for weeks and ectopics

Chest pains for weeks and ectopics

Firstly, what a fantastic site this is. It has really given me comfort to know that I am not alone, but as we all know, sometimes that's just not enough!

I have suffered panic attacks for the last 11 years and have been taking Seroxat on and off for 10 years. I am trying my hardest to come right off it but the side effects are vile. I am now down to 2mgs at night and am proud that I have come this far but worried about coming totally off it as I am weaning very slowly (over last 9 months).

Anyway, I have had ectopic beats now for about 8 years,slowly getting worse and worse to stage where I now never have a clear day or probably clear hour without these awful things. But worse still is the chest pain I have had now for about a month. I have seen the cardiologist and he diagnosed ectopic beats after doing an ecg, echo and blood tests. (By the way my BP is always v. high when at docs or cardiologist and he is keeping an eye on it in case it is white coat syndrome). I went back to see him after having these awful stabbing pains / dull aches in my chest, top of my ribs and right in the middle of my upper back. It really makes me panic!! Coupled with ectopics in between, its just so awful yet everyone thinks I am such a bubbly person (great actress I would say!). Anyway, I went back to the cardiologist and he took more bloods, chest xray and I am now waiting to have a stress test next week then back to him for the results. I almost find it hard to believe I am still alive with the pain and fear, I keep thinking "this one is gonna get me", yet I am still here!

I eat very healthily, drink tons of water, dont drink or smoke (all the enjoyable things make the ectopics worse!), cycle on my exercise bike about 5 miles a day, but I am overweight.

I just wondered if anyone else gets these vile pains, that scare the life out of you, making you rush to the loo for the umpteenth time....?!

Its just so debilitating to have this, but I am almost relieved I am seeing the cardiologist again next week, I find it comforting to see him (Ideally I would like him to come and live with me and reassure me all is OK every minute of the day!). I really dont want this to consume me and be obsessed with my heart, but I suppose I am. It is my greatest fear to have a heart attack and it appears I have every symptom.

I would really welcome anyone's advice on how to deal with this.

Thanks so very much xaprilx

Hi April, sorry to hear you are going through it.

I experienced constant chest pains for 6 months or so. The intensity would vary and I would get sharp pains mixed with the constant tightness. I got ectopics but not too frequently. This lead me to the same fear as you of heart attack. Any mention of this could also send me into a panic attack.

I feel fine now. Things I did briefly were : cut out caffeine, improved diet, exercise, stress management course, took more rest, read Claire Weekes a trillion times!, found this site, distraction (guitar, reading but distraction in company is better I think).

The "thought - feeling - behaviour" stuff really worked. The thing I found was that the answer was simple to say but very difficult to put in place and believe. My thoughts of imminent death were all consuming. But you do have to try and relax into it and work on changing those thoughts. It took time for me. It's not an overnight cure. It wasn't like I just changed a thought and suddenly everything went away. I took a leap of faith and just persisted with it as I'd heard from so many people that it worked. Initially it made me feel worse but as my confidence grew the problems lessened.

Hope this helps. You can get over it.

Cheers,
    Trev

Hi April,

I have suffered with ectopic beats for over three years and your post sounded just like me. They absolutely terrify me and I can't understand that they aren't dangerous. I have tried to ignore them, but they do still happen. I went for a few days without them recently, and felt so happy, but they're back again now and like you, I usually get them most days. I would be really interested to hear what your cardiologist has to say and I hope he can reassure you. Thankfully, I haven't suffered any chest pain but I can totally empathise with you how scary it must be, coupled with the ectopics.

Please feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Take care, Love,
    Linda.x

hi april,

i joined yesterday and i too find this place fantasticly reassuring..

i too have bad chest pains right an the center and above my pecs either side. sometimes mirrored on my back.. i panic thinking i have a heart condition too..

talking on here really helps..

need a chat anytime give me a shout.

April

Many congratulations for coming off Seroxat sensibly !!

You've also cut out caffiene and aspartame ?

You talk of bike exercise but not of anything that opens the chest outwards like swimming or stretches , out , back , up and round and nothing of active relaxation like yoga or Tai chi or meditation.

Dull ache
    chest pains
    Are these heart symptoms?
    Chest Pains
    what does your chest pain feel like?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thread Information