Thread: Moods

Question Moods

Hi there. I joined a couple weeks ago but then didn't really post again. I have been reading though. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with mood problems. I started taking 10mg a day of Citalopram at the beginning of September, to combat anxiety. I had the standard side effects which eased up after a few weeks. I started to feel better. A whole load of family stuff came up in October and I felt my mood slipping down again. I thought that was natural with stress and would ease up sooner or later.

But actually it seems to be more than just feeling a bit down. My moods swing from one extreme to the other. I can be high as a kite, excited, bubbly, my heart rate goes up, and then I come back down, lethargic, withdrawn, tearful. I can swing so rapidly that I don't know how I'll feel from one day to the next. And I'm nervous as well, which also makes my heart speed up. I'm jumpy and my boss calls me "highly strung".

I've always been naturally up and down, with a tendency towards depression and worrying, but this is new. I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday - do you think I should mention this or am I worrying over nothing? No I need to change my dosage?

Thanks. Karita
    Last edited by Karita; 17-11-08 at 15:03.

Re: Moods

Hi.
    I've been having terrible mood changes now for quite a while. I can relate to pretty much everything you say.

I go from being 'normal' cooking the dinner to weeping mess for no reason, that can last for days/weeks, in that time i will think about suicide, lock myself away and self harm, then as quick as it came i will go back to 'normal' again. My mood will change from overally excited/hyper/depressed/normal frequently.

I've also been called 'highlystrung' most of my life. Recently saw my
    psychiatrist who called it RAPID CYCLING, but who knows?

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Re: Moods

Hmm. I'm getting a bit panicky about what the mood swings might mean. They go so rapidly. Like right now I'm feeling quite tearful. But earlier on I was laughing and making jokes!

Thread Information