Thread: Finally relief after 12 weeks! hang in there

Red face Finally relief after 12 weeks! hang in there

Hi, just wanted to post my experience because I found it really helpful reading everyone else’s reviews when I started out. Out of nowhere I started having dizzy spells and panic attacks. I was tested to make sure everything was normal and nothing harmful was causing the dizziness. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and given 25mg of generic zoloft to start.

The first 4 weeks were completely miserable. I could barely leave the house, I felt sick, dizziness, insomnia and more anxious than I felt before. I had heart palpitations, I woke up to panic attacks twice. I was prescribed ativan to take as needed and I had to take it pretty often, although I tried not to.

I started to feel better around the 4/5 week mark but, still was having anxiety. At week 6 I finally garnered the courage to increase my dose to 37.5mg. (I was extremely terrified of getting side effects again) Fortunately this time around was much easier. I was a little jittery and had a little insomnia, but it was manageable.

I was still having some breakthrough anxiety though, so at the 8 week mark I went up to 50mg. The first week I had nausea, dizziness and an increase in anxiety, but, again much more manageable than the start up side effects. I am now on week 3 of the 50mg and I am making it through most days with minimal anxiety or at least I can control the anxiety way easier now. Finally after over 2 months I’m feeling relief. I haven’t had to use my ativan in over a week. I didn’t feel a switch like a lot of people said they did. For me it has been gradual. Each day getting a little better with a bad day here and there.

Besides the zoloft I went to therapy, began eating healthier, I began exercising 3-4 times a week, mediated daily/practiced breathing exercises (used Calm app on iPhone, love it!) and read Dr. Burns ‘When Panic Attacks’ (also super helpful).

I don’t think I’m 100% back to my normal self yet, but I feel tremendously better and I know if I keep up with my routine I feel all the way better soon.

Hope this helps like everyone else's experiences helped me!

Re: Finally relief after 12 weeks! hang in there

Hi Penny,

I'm glad to hear you've seen an improvement of your symptoms from taking Sertraline. It sounds like the changes you've made with the therapy and lifestyle improvements have also had an important part to play. I find Sertraline will prevent me outwardly reacting to difficult and upsetting things but I still feel the pain and it takes therapy and lifestyle changes to reduce the causes of the pain and fear. Various studies have shown that a combination of medication and therapy is the most effective treatment for anxiety and depression.

Re: Finally relief after 12 weeks! hang in there

Thank you for this post Penny! It gives us all hope when waiting for the Sert to kick in, mine has had the initial kick in but waiting for the super kick in, pretty much I believe week 8 is going to do it! So let's hang in there!
    Diagnosis: ADHD (Combined Type) with GAD. Had Post Concussive Syndrome, as well as Occipital Neuralgia and IBS. Recovered from PCS in May 2013. Diagnosed with a kidney disease called Gitelman Syndrome in November 2015.

On natural remedies currently.

L-tryptophan and magnesium glycinate

Also taking: potassium chloride er

Thread Information