Thread: Citalopram & Diazepam

Citalopram & Diazepam

My doc wants me to try Citalopram again (took them for 3 days last time then quit) as im suffering with bad anxiety and panic attacks. i found them awful last time i was on them so a different doc gave me Fluoxetine and diazepam which i never bothered taking, what i want to know is if i find the side effects of the Citalopram too much to handle would i be able to take the diazepam aswel? The dose of Citalopram she told me to take is 10mg, and the diazepam i have are 2mg.

any advice anyone?

Hi I did just that for the first week, it got better after the second week. I am now on my second month on citalopram 20mg and boy i feel so much better. I am getting on with my life again and i am so pleased that I can live again, didn't think it was possible. The only side effect i get is that it makes me tired. i only took 1 2mg diazepam when it was really bad in the first weeks, I soon felt better. Try hanging in there for me it was best thing and i am relieved i did it.

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

I've just started citalopram 10mg and diazepam 2mg too... coincidence! I've been reassured by a lot of people on here, and my doctor, that this is a fine mix and a lot of people have taken it.

When I say I just started it, I mean I started it yesterday

You should be fine, apart from some side effects.
    Hope you get better
    xo

I take a combination of three meds, so lots of combinations are possible, it's just a case of persevering until you find the right ones for you.

Hang tough

Re: Citalopram 20 mg

hiya i suffer from really bad anxiety and doctor put me on 20 mg off citralopram a month or so ago toke them for 3 days and ended up coming off cause i felt really bad could not cope with but when i went back he put me back on them :( on my second day and really worried seem to get it worse at nyt can u take some sort off sleeping pill with them really need it x

Re: Citalopram & Diazepam

Quote Originally Posted by hjm70 View Post
    My doc wants me to try Citalopram again (took them for 3 days last time then quit) as im suffering with bad anxiety and panic attacks. i found them awful last time i was on them so a different doc gave me Fluoxetine and diazepam which i never bothered taking, what i want to know is if i find the side effects of the Citalopram too much to handle would i be able to take the diazepam aswel? The dose of Citalopram she told me to take is 10mg, and the diazepam i have are 2mg.

any advice anyone?
    I have 2mg Diazapam (for emergencies) and I am on day 21 of Citalopram 20mg. They are fine to take together. Haven't taken a Diaz since I started Cit, but GP said it is fine to do so, if you need to.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

If your anxiety is high, start on the lowest possible dose of citalopram - 5mg (half of a 10mg tablet). Build your way up to 10mg after 1-2 weeks. The slower you do it, the less likely you are to experience unpleasant effects, but the longer it will take before you build up to a strong enough dose to make any significant difference.

I went straight onto 20mg and went through hell. I was very ill with anxiety at the time though and that DEFINITELY makes the side effects feel worse. Diazepam is sometimes prescribed to help people cope with their heightened feelings of anxiety.

Just because you felt rough last time doesn't mean you'll do so again. Citalopram tends to bite you right at the beginning of treatment so if you can endure the early days things will definitely get better. I was noticeably improving after 10-12 days on cit despite still having "blips".

Oh and also - get hold of some Inositol powder from Holland and Barretts - take either half a teaspoonful or one teaspoonful by dissolving it in water, or simply eating it and washing it down with water. Inositol does not react with medication and it can start helping with anxiety very quickly. It is also safe to take high doses of inositol since it is not a medicine, it's a naturally occurring substance which is usually deficient in people suffering from anxiety and depression.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPoet View Post
    Oh and also - get hold of some Inositol powder from Holland and Barretts - take either half a teaspoonful or one teaspoonful by dissolving it in water, or simply eating it and washing it down with water. Inositol does not react with medication and it can start helping with anxiety very quickly. It is also safe to take high doses of inositol since it is not a medicine, it's a naturally occurring substance which is usually deficient in people suffering from anxiety and depression.
    They didn't have any powder when I went there, so got 650mg tablets, it says to take 3 tablets a day. Had a bad first couple of weeks on Cit, but this past week has been ok. I have been taking Inosital since the weekend.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Ive started taking Inositol tablets from Holland & Barrett, the trouble is I keep forgeting to take them

Quote Originally Posted by paulst View Post
    Ive started taking Inositol tablets from Holland & Barrett, the trouble is I keep forgeting to take them
    I have all my vits on the coffee table in the living room, so as soon as I have eaten, it reminds me to take them. But the Inositol, which is 3 times a day, yes, I remember in the morning and the evening but often forget during the day!

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Thread Information