Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast Checking Fear - *Ladies*

Breast Checking Fear - *Ladies*

Hi,

I'm not sure if I should put this in HA or Phobia's category, but I have this serious anxiety (almost phobia) about checking my breasts for lumps, as doctors recommend you do monthly.

I just can't bring myself to do it, I am terrified of what I may find. I have fairly large breasts and they are lumpy anyway, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, even when I attempt to do it I feel sick and scared and I have to stop. Every month for 2 weeks leading up to my period they are extremely painful and I often get hormone related cysts.

I just wish that I could give my boobs to the doctor to check - unfortunately I would have to be attached to them . I would find it so embarrassing and I don't think a doctor would do that for me every month anyway.

At 36 I am too young to get regular mammograms, but I'm at the age now where my risk is starting to become higher - so I need to start checking. I wonder how much it would be to get a mammogram privately and would there be any point, how often do they need to be done?

Does anyone else feel like this?

Jo x

http://quirkymind.blogspot.com/

Re: Breast Checking Fear - *Ladies*

Hi there, I have breasts like you too, always lumpy and really painful for two weeks out of every month, but mine are not too big, so a bit easier to check. Even if they are lumpy, it's still worth doing as what you are looking for is anything that's different. Mammograms in younger people are not all that reliable as breasts are too dense to get a good picture. I know how you feel about checking them, but remember that anything you find is very treatable while it's small, which is why you do the check.

I just can't bring myself to do it, I am terrified of what I may find.
    This is so true.
    I did check myself after lots of fear and to my horror i found A SMALL LUMP.
    i GOT MYSELF TO THE DOCTOR asap the hospital did mamagrams and scans and the lump was A CYST that did not need any treatment.
    IFf i had been younger fitter i would have done cartwheels down the street with relief.
    BUT saying all this I am still terrified to examine myself - I do not want to find anything else.
    we are silly not to do this but the fear of WHAT IF is greater.
    best wishes
    June

Hi there

Why don't you go and see the nurse at your practice and ask her to do the check for you. She can also show you how to do it properly and they also have fake boobs with lumps in to let you feel what to notice. I used to be like you and was terrified but I made myself do the check exactly a week after my period each month. Once I got into the habit I actually became more relaxed about it because I knew that if I found anything it would only have been there for a month and I would be able to get treatment quickly. I am now 52 and have just had my first mammogram which was fine but they make a big thing of telling you that it is not failsafe and that you can obviously still get lumps in the time before the next one so you still have to do a monthly check. Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I will try to overcome this. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Jo x

Hello Jo. I'm exactly the same as you, however I do check mine every month, even though it's done with dread because of what I "might" find.

I was at the clinic in January for a lump which turned out to be cysts and I'm back again next week because I've discovered another lump, which I assume is another cyst but you have to be safe rather than sorry. To be honest, I'm so paranoid about checking myself that in reality I could probably end up at the GP's every month because I've found something else it really is a nightmare but I still do it because the key is early detection.

You should turn it around as a very positive thing to do and that you are on top of the situation. My breasts are also very lumpy and nodular and it does make checking very difficult but I try and make myself familar with my lumps so I know what's normal for me.

Also make sure you check 7/10 days after the last day of your period.

Yes yes yes! I'm just like that. I find checking them terrifying. I will avoid it completely and then do it obessively, rushing off to the loo to see if what I felt 5 minutes earlier was really a lumpy bit or a *LUMP*. Eventually I went to the doc who sent me for an ultrasound (they are safer than mammograms if you are under 40). That was great because immediately after the ultrasound I was able to feel my breasts without fear and "get to know" them, without panicking every time I felt a lumpy bit. I recommend it.
    Love your blog btw xxx

Thanks Jenny and Jojo

Yes, I think I will ask my doc about the ultrasound option and then start checking monthly, have to get used to it.

Jo x

Heya Jo,

I know where you are coming from, I actually enquired into having private screening. I am not eligible as I have to be 35 or older and for an annual fee you have regular checks and scans throughout the year. Funny enough I read an article the other day saying that woman checking their own breasts sometimes does more harm than good but the article stopped short of saying they we should not check our breasts...odd

None the less I can’t remember the company I approached but I am sure if you did an internet search there are a number of these companies set up.

I worry about breast cancer and all sorts but I only allow myself to worry about it once a month after my period, which can sometimes help as well.

Take care

Hi Jo, yes i am exactly the same, i dread doing my monthly check in case i find something, and because i am very lumpy anyway, i usually manage to find something to worry about I got this info off the breakthrough breast cancer website which i hope may be a little bit reassuring for you. They recommend that you are breast aware and get to know your own breasts (hi breasts,pleased to meet you ) but its more about just being aware of whats normal for you rather than doing a full on check. If this is what they recommend (and they should know what they're talking about) then that makes me think that if there was any change it would probably be pretty obvious. I know that cos i'm so paranoid about it all i will still do a thorough monthly check, but at least i do feel a bit reassured by that.

Breast Self Examination

In the UK we do not promote breast self examination (BSE).
    Breast self examination is a rigid self examination routine, usually taught by a heath professional and carried out at the same time each month in exactly the same way. The Department of Health, UK breast cancer charities (including Breakthrough) and other UK health bodies agree that it is not necessary to practice such a complicated procedure. Many women find it difficult and it can provoke unnecessary fear.

Some BSE techniques also advocate the use of ‘self examination aids’. However, there is no proof that such aids work and they only focus on feeling for lumps, rather than looking and feeling for other changes to the breast, skin or nipple.

However, there is agreement that being breast aware is important. Breast awareness encourages women to become familiar with their own breasts, be aware of breast cancer signs and symptoms and to report anything unusual to their doctor as soon as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information