Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello to you all. Can i ask a question please

Question Hello to you all. Can i ask a question please

Hi.
    My doctor just swapped me from Mirtazipina which I had been on for over 4 years, to paroxatina. Unfortunately because the paroxetina didnīt have the brand name seroxat on it, I didnīt realise it was the same thing I had a huge problem with in the past. Anyway after taking 2 and having a really horrible time I went back and he changed me again to Trazadone.
    I took one last night and today feel terrible again.
    It could be withdrawls from the Mirtazipina Iīm thinking, but also worried that it was wrong to replace one with another over night.I am living in Spain, and had to speak to the doctor in Spanish, but I asked about the sudden change without any tailoring off, and he said I only needed to tail off if I was actually stopping a med.
    Has anyone done the same thing, swapped from one type to another, and what was your experience please.

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Chick100 and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Hello to you all. Can i ask a question please

Hi Chick100 and welcome aboard! You need to start a new thread in the relevant section so it's more visible to other members and get more replies. Cheers

Hello venusbluejeans.

Thank you very much for you warm welcome. Iīm not used to navigating sites like this so all information welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick100 View Post
    Hello venusbluejeans.

Thank you very much for you warm welcome. Iīm not used to navigating sites like this so all information welcome.
    I am actually Bigboyuk just a member like your self yes it's big forum but you will find your way around it Cheers

Question Re: Hello to you all. Can i ask a question please

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Hi Chick100 and welcome aboard! You need to start a new thread in the relevant section so it's more visible to other members and get more replies. Cheers
    Hello Bigboyuk.

Iīm still finding my way round so thank you so much for your help. Sorry if I sound dumb, but what do you mean by posting in relevant section?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick100 View Post
    Hello Bigboyuk.

Iīm still finding my way round so thank you so much for your help. Sorry if I sound dumb, but what do you mean by posting in relevant section?
    That's ok If you head to the home page of this site there is a index with sub forums like for different conditions. meds etc, were you can post your question on HTH

Hi and welcome to NMP

Here is the guide our doctors use in the UK:

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepa...?ID=1651179592

As you can see, cross-tapering is the expected way with your change fom Mirt to Paroxetine.

Cross-tapering helps to smooth out the changes in neurotransmitter levels the drugs work on. Stopping one day & starting the next can do the same but will be harsher as it's a bit more abrupt...and a new med can bring it's side effect regardless so at a or cautious starting dose that will be easily to tolerate.

Half life plays a part too. Trazodone has a long half life which means it takes longer to reach it's steady-state in your blood plasma. So, coming off a shorter half life med for a longer one means the old med is decreasing faster but obviously there is still overlap with the new one, just that it takes longer for the med to settle.

Another factor is the dose you are on of the original drug. If higher than the lowest therapeutic dose, it may mean tapering down to avoid a harsher withdrawal. And the new med may be started at a lower dose on a cross-taper & built up. If the new med is sufficiently matched in terms of dosage for effect, it may not treat the anxiety as well...but this is where it takes time to understand as a doctor rushing ahead to match a dose can be a bad move too as the side effects can be intolerable.

Hi bigboyuk.

Thank you for helping me. Iīm not sure if I am sending this to you or the also very kind mynameisTerry, who I also want to thank for his very helpful comment.
    Seems like the sudden switch in meds is causing me to feel terrible. Wish i hadnīt bothered ! I felt better before

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Hi mynameisTerry.

Thank you so much for your very in depth comment. Im sure the sudden change from Mirtazapina to paroxatine and then Trazadone is responsible for making me feel so bad, hopefully the feeling will lesson before too long. Íīm just glad that Iīm not having panic attacks as well. High anxiety, thoughts of suicide, hot flushes, dry mouth and unable to eat is enough for now.
    The doctor spent a long time looking at his book on drugs before he came to his decision ( both times) and I questioned the speedy swap without tailing off one before starting another, but he said it would be fine, and thatīs only done when you are actually stopping something altogether.
    Anyway I think my best bet is to give it sometime to sort itself out, and take it from there.

I think you are right there, whilst drugs may even be in the same class they have subtle differences in how much they influence lesser neurotransmitters (e.g. we think SSRI's are about Serotonin but some are more potent with Norepinephrine than others).

Moving from drug to drug means you will be all over the place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information