Thread: Brain aneurysm fear

Brain aneurysm fear

Hello everyone

On Tuesday I was walking in the cold with my friend, we arrived at a restaurant which was incredibly warm and I developed a severe headache all night making me struggle to move even talk, since I have had some slight pressure in my head, nose and jaw and it's made me scared of doing normal activities like going on walks which I previously enjoyed encase a rise in blood pressure causes an aneurysm to rupture? I had an MRI four years ago for a thunderclap headaches associated with sex and the results were clear, but it was four years ago! My doctors referred me to a neurologist but the appointment is in March!

Re: Brain aneurysm fear

Hi EHO,

The likelihood of it being an aneurysm is very low, particularly if you don't have a family history of brain aneurysms and are living a reasonably healthy lifestyle (i.e., don't smoke, don't do cocaine, etc.). Though even if you did smoke or have done cocaine, your risk is still incredibly low. It could have been as simple as the temperature change triggering the blood vessels in your head to dilate and then spur a headache; it's happened to me once or twice. If you had an MRI and everything was clear with your thunderclap headaches, then you have no reason to suspect that it's anything more nefarious; you likely just have primary thunderclap headaches. Though to get your peace of mind, it doesn't hurt to confirm with your neurologist, which I suspect will make you feel much better. In the meantime, try to eat healthy and stay hydrated!

Best,
    Colton

Thread Information