Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: estilopram question from a newbie

Re: estilopram question from a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by martin_paes View Post
    i have started 5 mg morning and 5 mg at night and feel better than straight 10 mg at night
    That means you aren't getting 10mg anymore. The peak periods of the med will be too far apart to overlap resulting in a peak of over 5mg now as opposed to 10mg if you took the 10mg in the same sitting.

However the way you are taking it, which is unconventional for a SSRI, will result in a top up effect that prevents the med dropping as low as it would if you were taking 5mg once a day.

So, perhaps you were on too much? Or perhaps you started increasing the dosage too quickly making the side effects much more intense?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That means you aren't getting 10mg anymore. The peak periods of the med will be too far apart to overlap resulting in a peak of over 5mg now as opposed to 10mg if you took the 10mg in the same sitting.

However the way you are taking it, which is unconventional for a SSRI, will result in a top up effect that prevents the med dropping as low as it would if you were taking 5mg once a day.

So, perhaps you were on too much? Or perhaps you started increasing the dosage too quickly making the side effects much more intense?
    this is really confusing to me as i m firts time on such med but since i have 5/5 split i feel much better than taking 10 mg only at night

Hi. I take cipralex 10mg for a little over 3 weeks. I take it after lunch around 2pm. Did you guys have nausea like all the time, even the next day? And does it ever go away?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martin_paes View Post
    this is really confusing to me as i m firts time on such med but since i have 5/5 split i feel much better than taking 10 mg only at night
    Yes, I appreciate it's complicated, I was the same and it's only from reading professional reference material that I now understand how they work. Basically, like all drugs they have a half life and at that point the med is 50% of what it was at it's peak period (the peak builds up quickly after taking the med and lasts for a time) so it is reduces through the hours leading up to the half life time.

Think about taking a pain killer. If you take say 500mg of paracetamol your body starts getting 500mg as it is absorbed and hits it's peak period. Then it declines as it reaches the half life, and then it declines further beyond the 50% it was at the half life. If you split that pill into two 250mg ones and take them AM/PM, your body receives a maximum peak of 250mg during the peak periods of each of these doses. Now, if the peak periods don't overlap then the drug has started reducing below that 250mg max so in reality when you come to take the next 250mg you add that on to what is left of the first.

10mg Escitalopram = 20mg Citalopram. Starting on 20mg of Cit can be a hard experience and so many doctors taper upwards by going to 10mg first as it helps reduce the sudden side effects and gets the body more used to having the drug in there. So, it may be that you went on too high a dose at first but you may find it easier going up as this settles.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yes, I appreciate it's complicated, I was the same and it's only from reading professional reference material that I now understand how they work. Basically, like all drugs they have a half life and at that point the med is 50% of what it was at it's peak period (the peak builds up quickly after taking the med and lasts for a time) so it is reduces through the hours leading up to the half life time.

Think about taking a pain killer. If you take say 500mg of paracetamol your body starts getting 500mg as it is absorbed and hits it's peak period. Then it declines as it reaches the half life, and then it declines further beyond the 50% it was at the half life. If you split that pill into two 250mg ones and take them AM/PM, your body receives a maximum peak of 250mg during the peak periods of each of these doses. Now, if the peak periods don't overlap then the drug has started reducing below that 250mg max so in reality when you come to take the next 250mg you add that on to what is left of the first.

10mg Escitalopram = 20mg Citalopram. Starting on 20mg of Cit can be a hard experience and so many doctors taper upwards by going to 10mg first as it helps reduce the sudden side effects and gets the body more used to having the drug in there. So, it may be that you went on too high a dose at first but you may find it easier going up as this settles.
    thank you sir

update
    i have been on 5 mg for now and feel good yet
    will plan to stop it from 01 jan2018
    then lets see how things go

will plan to stop it from 01 jan2018
    That should be based on how you are feeling and your doctor. Don't set yourself up with predetermined deadlines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information