Thread: Strange sore throat, anyone had this?

Angry Strange sore throat, anyone had this?

People have probably seen me post on other occassions about various things but I am mostly health anxiety free at this point. So, a quick rundown of the past month.
    Oct 12th - 19th - Standard cold, sore throat, and a cough that lingered around till the 24th or so.

Oct 23rd - Nov 1st - Sore throat, pain when touching and moving tongue, went to doctors and was mistakingly told it was a "self limiting viral infection". Pain was switching sides.

Nov 1st - Nov 10th - Went back to docs after seeing pus on my tonsils, given antibiotics (10 day course) for tonsillitis.

NOV 11 - NOW - I am so confused, I still have a weird sore throat that is worse in the mornings and hurts when I swallow saliva, BUT it does not hurt when I am drinking water or eating food. Even swallowing saliva while laying on my front doesn't hurt anywhere near as much. The pain is very on and off,sometimes I can swallow 3 or 4 times with no pain and then it will hurt again. I still have a relatively blocked nose but its a lot better than before. Anyone have any clue what this could be? Anyone experienced anything simmilar. All in all I have had sore throat symptoms for like a month now pretty much and its got me a little worried into diseases of the immune system or throat... issues. Thanks guys!

Edit: It is worth mentioning that after the antibiotics I had 1 day of no sore throat at all, and then this kicked back in - however the pain is nothing like the tonsillitis I had at all (3/10 at max) and my glands went down and my tonsils cleared up.

Re: Strange sore throat, anyone had this?

I don’t understand why you find this strange since you had tonsillitis. It’s probably post nasal drip.

Im finding the nature of the sore throat strange, its so... off and on, hurts one way not another. Fine to drink and eat but not swallow just saliva. Its really strange and I am defo thinking the most likely is post nasal drip but my HA keeps sneaking in strange little "possibilities". Its just because this is what I was feeling before I had tonsilitis before but a lot worse. Perhaps its on the way down?

So what are you really scared of? Throat cancer? If you are then it could be anxiety. Or it could be the other things that have been mentioned.

I guess deep down I'm scared of throat cancer or leukemia or lymphoma, but lymphoma the least as my worrisome lymph node went down. It's the fact it's lasted so long and I hate being constantly reminded when I swallow that something is up with my throat for weeks now.

It’s called being sick. It takes a few weeks to heal. You have a tendency to overreact to these things, and the increased anxiety does nothing towards helping you heal.

Quote Originally Posted by raizorpoke View Post
    I guess deep down I'm scared of throat cancer or leukemia or lymphoma, but lymphoma the least as my worrisome lymph node went down. It's the fact it's lasted so long and I hate being constantly reminded when I swallow that something is up with my throat for weeks now.
    You don’t have throat cancer. It’s possible that your throat isn’t even that sore. HA magnifies every symptom. You keep waiting for the symptom to get better. Checking...”is it as sore as yesterday...why isn’t it getting better...omg I’m sure it’s even sorer today than it was yesterday. Checking, checking always checking. One day you’ll forget to check and you’ll realise that it wasn’t sore for a while.

That’s how HA works. Also antsyvee is right even people with HA get normal sicknesses. They just don’t give themselves time to get better.

I have this right now. Just getting over a cold, but the sore throat and post-nasal drip is taking forever to clear up. I do worry about it on and off, but mostly I'm just impatient to feel better. One thing that I found helpful is nasal irrigation with either a neti pot or one of those specialty squirt bottles. Have you tried that? It seems to thin out the mucous so that it's not collecting in the back of my throat. I do it once in the morning and once in the evening. Also, keep a glass or bottle of water by the bed and have a few sips any time you wake up.

I make sure that I keep drinking as drinking water is the only way it doesn't hurt at all. It randomly doesn't hurt but I'm definitely not imagining the sharp pain when it does. I think it probably is nasal drip as whenever I try I can cough up a bit of mucus.

Quote Originally Posted by raizorpoke View Post
    I make sure that I keep drinking as drinking water is the only way it doesn't hurt at all. It randomly doesn't hurt but I'm definitely not imagining the sharp pain when it does. I think it probably is nasal drip as whenever I try I can cough up a bit of mucus.

It’s just taking its time to heal up completely, you’ve killed the infection but the body still has to heal the damage (inflammation ect) that it caused while it was there. As much as I know it’s hard to try not to think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thread Information