Thread: heart murmur, i am very concerned

heart murmur, i am very concerned

hello

i went to doctors after complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath and very scarily sudden cutting off of vision for a split second as though the lights had been turned off in the room. he checked my heart and he found a heart murmur. he said i shouldn't worry because i am very young (17) for this to turn out serious but to just be on the safe side i should get a heart ultrasound, he said he will send me a letter for a hospital appointment soon.

should i be worried? he was concerned about the sudden blackout (and so was i!!! absolutely terrified!! i thought i had a mini stroke) but he didn't seem to push it further. he suggested it could have been caused by disturbed turbulant blood flow by the heart murmur, and I am scared it will happen again!! disturbed blood flow to the BRAIN?? i am freaking out!

again he kept insisting i shouldn't worry but oh my goodness!! i am scared im going to die in my sleep or something. i keep saying to myself if it was very serious he would have called for an ambulance, but then i also keep saying myself that it's concerning enough for a hospital appointment. i don't even know how these work, aren't waiting times very long?

i am sorry if this panics anyone experiencing the same thing as me reading this but i assure you i have had this coming i have had these pains and shortness of breath constant, it may turn out to be nothing harmful anyway. i am just hoping i can talkt to someone here about this.

Re: heart murmur, i am very concerned

I can't really speak to the blacking out, but try your best to trust your doctor. I had a heart murmur appear out of nowhere when I was 21 that was noticed at a routine exam. They weren't worried and after a year it went away. They told me it could be caused by stress, a virus/bug, etc. They said if I was worried I could have an ultrasound but it wasn't required and I didn't do it.

I will say I sometimes feel like lights flicker and question if they really do or not because it literally is a split second. Then I think that it's probably just my anxiety making me notice things that normal people don't even think about.

I know it's hard, but you have to listen to what your doctor said. Follow up with the ultrasound for your piece of mind, but the doctor wouldn't say you didn't need to worry if you did.

you are right. thank you for your reply.

it's just scary, you know? you go to the doctor's thinking they'll say the same thing, that everythings fine. then it turns out that they find something and it's not so normal anymore.

on top of the murmur i am worried the waiting time for the ultrasound will be long. i am just going to have to power through.

again thanks for taking the time out of your day to say something, i needed it in this time of stress.

Oh I agree, I felt the same way when I got told about mine. I went in thinking it was going to be a quick in and out routine checkup. I was pretty shaken up about it actually! I hope they can get you in quickly for your own peace of mind!

Thread Information