Thread: Scared of sudden death

Scared of sudden death

Hi I am new to this site but don't really know where else to expresses my worries. I will start by saying I am diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder. Well last Saturday I was laying in bed and my heart suddenly started pounding, my chest went tight. My immediate thought was I'm having a heart attack. My partner phoned for an ambulance. Whilst in my house they did an ECG , checked my pulse and my bloods. All fine. I still went to the hospital. Had another ECG, a blood test to check my enzymes in my heart . Again all fine and my oxygen levels were at 99%. I apparently have a viral infection. Anyway I am still getting palpitations (which make me go dizzy) being sick, sharp pains all over. Might I just add that the palpitations catch my breath. I am absolutely terrified the next palpitation will be fatal and I'm about to drop down dead. I've had 3 more panic attacks this week because of it. I just keep thinking this is it. I'm dying. I have heard of this condition that can occur from a virus where the heart can become swelled. Would this be detected on the ECG?
    Last edited by Janey85; 25-11-17 at 21:06.

Re: Scared of sudden death

Hey there!

I too get heart palpitations. Sometimes I get them daily, sometimes multiple per day, sometimes I go a week or two without getting them. Every time I talk to my doctor he seems not worried about these things, even when I mention that during times of panic, it feels as though I can't breathe, my heart is pounding, and I get dizzy. I guess the most important advice I can give you, since I am not a doctor, is to bring your concerns up with your doctor, about the viral infection specifically, and if that checks out ok like the other stuff you have to do something that I now is even hard for me but must be done... you have to trust your doctor and realize this is anxiety. It is easier said than done I know, trust me I'm going through a situation of unknowing right now myself. I think once we finally can accept that and let go, it will be easier to move through the troubling times of anxiety and panic. Here's to hoping you feel better! And also, welcome! There are many wonderful people here that offer tremendous support!

Thread Information