Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A throat lump and lymph nodes making me anxious

Re: A throat lump and lymph nodes making me anxious

Quote Originally Posted by kroppb View Post
    My anxiety symptoms have gradually eased. I have just tried to forget all health related for today, and care about it only when meeting the GP. But actually, there was one time I kept poking the hard mass. It feels just like bone. It seems to be where the hyoid bone dwells. But it is a bit to the right. I keep repeating these things in my mind; the only alarming aspect being the off-centered position. But I am not a doctor and cannot tell if such asymmetry is common or at least non-problematic.

Huge thanks to swgrl and bigboyuk! You have cheered me up!

Tomorrow I will hear what's in my neck. After that no more uncertainty!
    I know that just hearing the GP's opinion will not cure my HA but it will certainly help. I know it for sure. But I will also seek help for HA, too. Hopefully the doctor is kind to give me tips to start with!
    That's good to hear mate you make good point (many HA ers don't) you aren't a dr as you say and tbh you don't know what you are looking for so that's excellent leave it the professionals ATB

Exactly! Nobody is symmetrical and honestly I think mine felt off-center too. I don't go looking for it though anymore because I don't want to go down that rabbit hole! Good luck with your appointment

Update: the doctor examined my neck and was able to feel the lymph nodes and the neck bump.

The neck bump was, according to him, either an asymmetric hyoid bone or benign cartilage growth. Either way, he was not concerned and did ask if I was feeling down or have lost weight. I actually feel down and tired and told this to the Dr and he immediately knew why. I have been worrying about all this.

He assured that there is nothing wrong. Then I asked that "I have been stupid and been Googling my symptoms". He asked me "did lymphoma come up?"

On saying yes, he told me that stop Googling and keep living your life. You don't have any signs on lymphoma. He noticed that my beck had been US'd and told me that the radiologist was really professional and has a lot of experience. He even showed me his notes on my nodes and the bump. It said "some larger nodes that, however, are within normal threshold, larynx fine, no noticeable signs of anything acute."

Then, when it comes to my stomach discomfort. He actually took my hand and tried how far my fingers bend. I have never noticed any hyperbending but there appeared to be some. Then he examined my stomach and there was no swelling. The stomach pain couldn't be accounted for any organ issues. Yay! It is maybe due to my bad posture and the fact that my rig cage bends a lot; actually a bit inwards if I don't support my back.

I also got bloodwork done. The only measure they need concerns my thyroid. It seemed fine in the ultrasound images but just to rule that out, it was done. Now I am waiting for the results that are coming tomorrow.

My HA has eased a bit more now. There was just one thing that made me a little anxious temporarily. It was when I was making the bloodwork appointment. The nurse asked me which doctor referred me for bloodwork. I told the name and the nurse was like "Ohh. Dr. *lastname*? What has he done this time."

This made me really uncomfortable. But I am over it. The doctor seemed professional and together with the fact that an experienced radiologist scanned my neck before, there is no need to worry. If I ever notice a new lymph node or notice that one grows really large, I am going to make an appointment. Also, I need to keep my hands of my neck. This won't happen with flying colours, I know it. I need to put my mind to it. Maybe I find a way to disract my attention for a few weeks. I have to see.

Anyhow, the nurse was being a bollock.
    Why would someone say that kinda things to a patient?

I will keep this thread updated for a while about the blood test and the aftermath of this HA attack!

It sounds like this doctor was really thorough and understanding. I am glad it went well! The nurse may be making a joke based on her own personal relationship with the guy, who knows, but I wouldn't look too far into it.

Thyroid tests are so common. I get them done every year and they are always normal. Sounds pretty routine I hope you feel a little better after the appointment. And I agree, hands off!! Sometimes, when I am in a "checking" obsession, I have to break it down hour by hour. I won't check for an hour, then I get to the next hour and see if I can extend it. Eventually I just forget to check.

I wish I would've saw this yesterday to help you, but anyway, JUST last week I found a lump JUST like you describe in my neck. Its on the right side just above the adams apple to the right of my windpipe/larynx or whatever its called. I found it when I was getting ready to go out somewhere and it sent me into a HUGE panic. Mine is firm but I can squish it a little and its kinda sore when I do. I know its not a lymph node because its too centre to my neck and nodes are under the jaw and on the sides of the neck. Anyway, a friend of mine said she has the same thing and its just a lump of cartilage. So I relaxed, even more now that I saw your Dr. said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    It sounds like this doctor was really thorough and understanding. I am glad it went well! The nurse may be making a joke based on her own personal relationship with the guy, who knows, but I wouldn't look too far into it.

Thyroid tests are so common. I get them done every year and they are always normal. Sounds pretty routine I hope you feel a little better after the appointment. And I agree, hands off!! Sometimes, when I am in a "checking" obsession, I have to break it down hour by hour. I won't check for an hour, then I get to the next hour and see if I can extend it. Eventually I just forget to check.
    The doctor indeed was lovely. Maybe it was the relationship of theirs who knows but I think she said so because the doctor was an immigrant (from the Baltic countries) and his language was really full of words from his own native language. Maybe he is known as a "funny guy" among the hospital staff. Anyhow, he did seem to know the anatomy of the throat really well. He even found a pic of the structure online and showed me where the things are and what is what.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    I wish I would've saw this yesterday to help you, but anyway, JUST last week I found a lump JUST like you describe in my neck. Its on the right side just above the adams apple to the right of my windpipe/larynx or whatever its called. I found it when I was getting ready to go out somewhere and it sent me into a HUGE panic. Mine is firm but I can squish it a little and its kinda sore when I do. I know its not a lymph node because its too centre to my neck and nodes are under the jaw and on the sides of the neck. Anyway, a friend of mine said she has the same thing and its just a lump of cartilage. So I relaxed, even more now that I saw your Dr. said the same thing.
    If a mass doesn't grow it is nothing to worry about. We tend to get lumps of fatty tissue here and there. Some "unique" lumps of cartilage in places and all that. Good to hear you had found out what it was and that my post gave you more reassurance.

Update: blood test results came back normal.
    Hope this thread is helpful to someone - writing here has helped me a lot!

[QUOTE=kroppb;1740364]Update: blood test results came back normal.
    Hope this thread is helpful to someone - writing here has helped me a lot! [/QUOTE Hey kroppb been reading the your replies sound like you have a excellent dr who knows the score and will go out of his way to make you feel better and put your mind at ease It's all good mate ATB

I happened to come across this post tonight just browsing to see if anyone had any funky lumps in their neck area... On Thursday I had a coughing fit and during it felt like something weird and uncomfortable on my neck, I rubbed it and felt a pretty big lump probably at the same level just to the right. I have never felt it before and it immediately sent me in a panic. I felt my daughter's neck and my husband's and they do not have it and this freaked me out even more.. Ever since then it's like I'm in a hyper mode... when I move my neck etc it's like I can feel it there. It's very frustrating and scary. I haven't Google about it because I know good and we'll what that's gonna lead to and since it's crossed my mind a few times already, I had better not.
    I have been going through some very strange things since April. Me and my Dr thought something was wrong with my liver because both my palms suddenly turned red and I have prominent blue veins showing through my skin all over my body that were never visible before. After much testing my liver checked out okay. I have no idea what's causing my symptoms but cancer keeps entering my mind.. I have been having terrible sweats when I sleep and now this lump... I suppose I will have to make an appt with the Dr in the morning.
    In my early 20s I suffered terribly with health anxiety after my heart condition was mis diagnosed for panic attacks. I eventually got it under control but since April of this year with back to back symptoms and no answers I feel myself slowly being pulled back in and feel helpless to stop it... I don't want to go through this again :(

I had a cat scan early August of my neck to check on a small tumor I was diagnosed with in 2012 in my left Paratiod gland. It must have been a stone because nothing showed up and tumors don't magically disappear. In any case I wonder if something sinister could manifest in just a few months.... it's driving me crazy but I go see my ent 2marro morning. I hate going to the Dr about things like this. Always afraid of what they are gonna say...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information