Thread: Scared is this normal

Scared is this normal

At times randomly maybe once or twice a year or even less I will get a weird flutter I guess feeling inside my chest it feels like my heart skips a beat or something so my automatic instinct is to cough to help it, don’t ask why I just do I also end up going on my knees and staring forward trying not to panic

After the flutter is finished my heart races at such a high speed I can actually feel it beat on my chest and feel it from the outside it races so fast for no reason and after few minutes after I’m obviously panicking and begging for it to stop

I’m left with feeling tired and Twitching, it has happened twice in past 60 or so days and I’m scared it’s serious I’ve been googling and checking things etc I dunno what it is, and lately I’ve noticed a mini flutter that is like half a second or a second long which makes me think oh no it’s goinh happen again etc and worries me that it’s something serious

Please help me I’m scared

I also don’t take any caffeine products or smoke or drink alcohol or do drugs I only take my fluoxetine and my acid reflux medicine, although because of new study I’ve been told to reduce my acid reflux medicine and come off it, so I’m on a reduced amount and very acid refluxy lately

Re: Scared is this normal

Hi Paul, I'm so sorry you're feeling so scared, this so sounds like me, I get palpitations which in turn make me panic and like you my heart is racing and feels like it's trying to escape from my chest, mine are panic attacks, it's taken me years to realise and accept that's what it is but it's very frightening when it happens, you're not alone, if you feel worried see your GP, they can reassure you and help.
    Hope you start feeling better soon x

Hi, I think this is quite normal. I have been getting these fluttering palpitations, also episodes where my heart feels like it stops for a couple of seconds, and/or beats incredibly slow and strong, as if it's about to burst out of my chest. I have had loads of ecgs, stress tests, scans etc. and there is nothing wrong my heart. I am still alive decades on so hopefully this will give you some reassurance. It always makes sense to see your doctor about any heart issues, and they can check it out. Knowing that your heart is ok will help ease your anxiety. If you worry every time they happen then your brain will associate the event with fear and exacerbate the problem.

Heck, there are people who have them constantly. Once or twice a year? It is normal so why be afraid of it?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information