Thread: Can this just be Anxiety ?

Can this just be Anxiety ?

IBS symptoms ( mostly under control due to mebeverine & lansoprazole , but still ocasionally get the pain under the rib ) ,

Globus - every day & really annoying me

Stomach / esophageal spasms - ( I can stop these with breathing exercises , but they are still there )

Bad back - not sure this is entirely anxiety , but could be made worse by it.

Stiff neck / tightness in head.

Blood tests & stool sample came back fine , seven weeks ago. I've seen several doctors and they all reckon it's anxiety and I dont need to go for further tests.
    This is the worst I've ever felt in my life. Is this all Anxiety?

Re: Can this just be Anxiety ?

Hi Harrison Chase,

I would trust doctors on that if they have done the tests and can't find anything physically causing these symptoms.
    Personally, I definitely experience stomach spasms, bad back, stiff neck (and shoulders) and tension headaches as part of my anxiety symptoms. The stiff neck and back are due to you tensing up when you get anxious or if you feel stressed. You might not realise you're doing it at the time but you'll definitely feel it afterwards! Am currently experiencing really stiff neck and shoulders and I'm reading the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J Bourne (very comprehensive book), he advises progressive muscle relaxation as a good way to release a lot of these tensions so I'll give that a try. I've just checked out a couple of sites that have downloadable (and free) guided relaxations (do a google search for those if you're interested, the site won't let me post weblinks!) on The University of Melbourne Website under Services for Students and Staff Counselling and Psychological Services and on Blue Pages Relaxation therapy. Will try them out for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.
    Did the doctor advise you see a therapist or counsellor about your anxiety? I would strongly advise you to, I used to live in the UK and accessed free CBT therapy through my GP, definitely worth a go.
    Good luck with it and hope you feel better soon!

Take care

Thread Information