Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbal Additions to Citalopram?

Herbal Additions to Citalopram?

Lately I've been having a hard time despite keeping on my pills. I've made an appointment to see my prescribing GP about upping the dose, but he only works one day a week so I won't get to see him for over a week right now (next day in is all booked up).

I was wondering if any of you guys take any herbal calming things in addition to citalopram when having bad days? The pharmacy warned me off taking Calms with Cit as they said it would probably make me worse rather than better - I just need something to allow me to work until I see my GP...

Re: Herbal Additions to Citalopram?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMazonas View Post
    Lately I've been having a hard time despite keeping on my pills. I've made an appointment to see my prescribing GP about upping the dose, but he only works one day a week so I won't get to see him for over a week right now (next day in is all booked up).

I was wondering if any of you guys take any herbal calming things in addition to citalopram when having bad days? The pharmacy warned me off taking Calms with Cit as they said it would probably make me worse rather than better - I just need something to allow me to work until I see my GP...
    I have sometimes taken one regular kalm tablet (not the sleep ones) in the night when I could't sleep with half pint of water. Always seemed to help me ok.

You might want to read the post at the top of this forum by Psychopoet called "Citalopram survival guide".
    It's fantastic !
    There's some info in there about inositol, a herbal/vitamin supplement some of us take. You need the powder not the capsules, and I take about a teaspoon when feeling more anxious than usual.
    It works well for me.

Also I have tried 1g of tryptophan, which does help me, but you need to be very careful with that. if you're going there do it slowly and test a small amount.

Other than that regular Nytol has helped me sleep.
    Along with Boots Tension headache tablets, which also help me sleep.

GPs don't typically approve of is messing about like this - and for good reason. They (and we) need to know the exact effect if cit, and that gets much more complex if we add other substances in.
    Personally I don't care - just want to feel better - but place yourself in the GPs shoes for a bit and you might see it differently.

Best wishes from Nottingham!
    Martin

PS GPs must work more than one day a week ?? - is there no else at your practice you can see. If that's the case I'm sorry but I would experiment - but not telling you what to do. None of my comments are medical advice - just a description of what I do personally

Ah, thank you for the advice. I may look out for the inositol powder. I can completely understand why pharmacists and GPs don't like us mixing stuff about like this; they only have our best interests at heart. I just need something to allow me to return to work until my GP is available.

Sadly he does only work 1 day a week - I don't know if he works at other practices on other days or not. There are other GPs at the surgery but... my list of issues with them could probably fill another thread quite thoroughly!

Thank you a lot though, you've been helpful

Hi Bunny,

Personally I wouldn't take anything without speaking to your gp as herbal medecines sometimes interfere with prescribled meds. Could you not ring the surgery and ask for your GP to call you when he is free? I did this when I first started taking my new meds I needed to speak to my GP so I rang and spoke to the receptionist and she got the GP to ring me when the surgery had finished.

I can understand the frustration, especially when your Gp only does the one day a week.

Hope you can get it sorted. Good luck.

JO.

Quote Originally Posted by JT69 View Post
    Hi Bunny,

Personally I wouldn't take anything without speaking to your gp as herbal medecines sometimes interfere with prescribled meds. Could you not ring the surgery and ask for your GP to call you when he is free? I did this when I first started taking my new meds I needed to speak to my GP so I rang and spoke to the receptionist and she got the GP to ring me when the surgery had finished.

I can understand the frustration, especially when your Gp only does the one day a week.

Hope you can get it sorted. Good luck.

JO.
    Hey Jo - you're supposed to always agree with me on everything LOL

Huh, well the herbal stuff is working well it seems. Took one herbal calms-type pill today with my usual meds. I feel... placid. Not ideal, but certainly a solution until I see me GP. Thans again!

Hey Mart,

Seems I was wrong and you was right!!! Only saying what I have been taught.

Hi Bunny

Glad they worked...sorry I was wrong....was just worried in case you had a re-action of some type. Just goes to show not everything you are told is correct.

Take care
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by JT69 View Post
    Hey Mart,

Seems I was wrong and you was right!!! Only saying what I have been taught.
    Hey Joh, I think you were right strictly speaking.
    Just that the odd one never hurt me.
    I wasn't trying to cause a dispute.
    You know me, tactful as always!

Looks like Bugsy Mallone is ok ?

Quote Originally Posted by martbarr View Post
    ... Bugsy Mallone ...
    Soz - BunnyMazonas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information