Thread: Swollen lymph glands

Swollen lymph glands

Hello everyone,
    I'm hoping I will gain some reassurance here! I have swollen lymph glands in neck and groin. They are painful, too. I have had one or two minor infections, but not enough to cause the glands to raise up, I'd have thought. they are not massive (they are bean sized) and not agony - more uncomfortable. The docs have run blood tests and told me they are nothing to worry about. Anyone had any similar experiences?

I hate health anxiety - it's pants!! Much sympathy to everyone out there - it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Hi seeker.
    WELCOME TO THE SITE.

There are lots of nice people here who will help and support you.

The lymph glands swell when we have a virus or inffection in our body. My son, ohhh when he was young had chicken pox, the pox passed but then I noticed alot of lumps around the back of his ear's. Of course I got scared, took him back to gp and gp said hes fine, the glands do this sometime when finghting things in or body, they will go down in time.

Just as the gp said, the lumps went, in time.

Hope this helps a little

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Fear is the darkroom
    where negatives are developed.....

When you fear something,
    learn as mush about it as you can.
    Knowledge conqers fear...

Hello Jill,
    Thank you! I know normally the glands go down and stuff - it's the ones that have been swollen for a few weeks now that worry me. Hey ho. I managed to do my Christmas shopping today, so can't be that ill!

Come on peeps! Give me those swollen, sore glands stories!! Also, shall we try and give some positive NHS stories, about times they did manage to catch illnesses etc in time!!

hi seeker, i had a gland up in my neck for as long as maybe a couple of years. i had it checked out and there was nothing wrong, the doctor told me that glands can stay up for ages as they can get filled with calcium.

if your doctor has told you it is nothing to worry about, then im sure it is.

as for positive nhs stories, i havent got any really because, guess what? all the times you dont hear about them is when everything has gone right. you only ever hear about the minority of times when things go wrong. a story about someone who had a symptom, got it checked out and the problem treated without any problems isnt really newsworthy is it!

HA definitely is pants, but i really dont think you have anything to worry about.

mag

thank you strawberrie! I am just back from seeing my very nice, sympathietic doctor (who said that he also suffers HA at imes!!), and he said that yes, many of my glands were raised and tender, but they were nothing that he would worry about if they were on him. He also drew me a picture of what the medical profession call a large gland, compared to my idea of a large gland. Mine was obviously much smaller than theirs! So, I am reassured and am going back after the New Year to have another blood test to doubly check, and my ENT appointment.
    I know what you mean about the NHS - I sent my doctors a nice box of chocs and a thank you card, as I imagine they rarely get thanked for all the good work they do!

Red face Re: Swollen lymph glands

I have been googling and think this is what I may have after people say I need a doctor.

It looks like a swollen bit on my neck/jaw. There's not much pain I did have a cold two months back not sure if that could be the cause?

I am just really anxious as I never noticed it and somebody else did and been panicking all day not wanted to go out or do anything. I am worried it's serious and I am thinking I need to make a doctors appointment tomorrow. It may not even be that but not sure if it sounds like that?

Somebody says it looks like an abscess and it is a bit swollen?

Red face Re: Swollen lymph glands

Update well I have been to the doctor and they said I had some glands in my neck possibly the end of a viral infection I had a few months back or the start of one but nothing abnormal. They said I could go back for blood tests next week if I want.

So it's probably swollen glands and nothing to worry about? I've got myself in an anxious worked up state due to people insisting I need a doctor and have been extremely anxious.

I've barely been sleeping and can't enjoy doing anything due to worry/stress.

Thread Information