Thread: Social Anxiety

Social Anxiety

Hi all, just been recommended this site by a friend.
    Quick bit of info about myself, have suffered from social anxiety (or at least thats what i think it is) for the past 12 years (25 now) or so and is gradually gettting worse.

The main reason i've decided to look for help is that its affecting my career, or the career i would like to pursue should i say. The problem i have is public speaking which i find absolutely impossible, i shake, can't get words out etc and only just passed my uni course due to this. I REALLY need to overcome this as my job at the moment is going nowhere and i'm starting to get more and more depressed about it as time goes on...

I think the main problem is i'm afraid of what people think of me, also find it hard to interact with groups of people, don't talk much, which in turn makes me think people must think i'm strange lol.

Anyway making an appointment to see the doc tomorrow and hopefully make a start to overcoming the problem, any ideas on what i should say?? Should i ask for councilling, have no idea!

Thanks, luke

Re: Social Anxiety

Hi Luke,

Welcome to NMP, you will get lots of help and advice here.
    It sounds to me like you could be suffering from social anxiety.
    Well done for going to see your doctor tomorrow.
    I went a few weeks ago and my doctor is referring me for anxiety management and CBT.
    You should ask about counselling, I went in and asked the doctor if they did any type of counselling. I said I thought I was suffering from anxiety, he asked why I thought that, I said I felt anxious, scared and panicky around people.

Good luck for tomorrow I hope it goes well. Anna

Thanks Anna, yea must say there is plenty of helpful info on here, am off work tomorrow so will be having a good read through!

i have sa hun

its ruined my career

my advice would be to get it sorted asap as the longer u leave it the harder it is to learn to control.

i use meds and therapy

cbt is useful

also having someone u trust to talk to relly helps

nmp is great for that

i have a friend who has helped greatly

take care tomorrow

milly xxxx

honestly in this case i would say medicine short term. the medicine is going to make you relax so you won't feel things such as the panic or fast heart rate. like xanax or clonzepam. then id say small steps like meeting new people, going up to a stranger to ask the time, any small exercise like public speaking to practice small steps. you can also go up to a group of people and ask them where the best resturant is or something just to feel how it is speaking infront of people you dont know and letting yourself go and relax with the flow. you would be suprised how accepting people are...there are less mean people than nice in the world. i had speech problems in the past and the way i got over it was one college speech i did infront of 35 people before i began i said you know what im nervous bear with me and id say the majority of people smiled and laughed and later said oh my gosh i feel the same way! ever since that i learned not to care and also that people arent judging you as much as you think. just some ideas but bottom line is small steps and you will get there, keep trying and goodluck let me know how it goes -bostonbuttafly25

thats great your seeking help! dont forget to see a therpist too, i see one for my anxiety and the support she gives me is so helpfull.

Thread Information