Thread: Can't breathe, dizzy, feel like i'm dying. Anxiety?

Can't breathe, dizzy, feel like i'm dying. Anxiety?

Hi everyone! I'm new here but have been reading the forum quite a bit over the last few weeks and you all seemed so nice I thought i'd post a message as i'm really struggling at the moment.

I don't really know where to start without writing an essay, but I recently went to the doctor as i've been feeling very breathless which initially I put down to low iron levels as it got worst at the time of my period and also i'm a veggie so don't eat any red meat. I feel like i want to breathe in more than i can, and then i feel like i have nothing to breathe out. I also told my doctor i'd been getting really dizzy, feeling disconnected from reality, having jaw ache from constantly clenching my teeth, I always felt on edge and lately my heart had been beating really fast for no apparent reason. She listened to my heart and breathing and checked my blood pressure and then brushed it all off telling me i'm just a naturally anxious person.

I'm now on iron supplements and hoped things would improve but if anything everything has got worse and i'm starting to think anxiety is more to blame than iron, even though it's never affected me before. I wake up at night gasping for air, feeling like I'm suffocating. I'm ok when i'm out shopping or working and my mind is occupied (which makes me think/hope it's more psychological than anything), but when i sit down to watch tv the breathlessness starts again (sitting down seems to be the trigger, it gets better if i stand up), and it gets much worse after eating, (but i'm guessing this is due to the fact I always get so bloated after eating even the smallest amount of food). My throat feels really tight too, like someone has their hands around my neck and at the moment all I can wear are loose dresses cos anything tight around my waist, like a skirt or trousers, makes the breathlessness worse. After dinner today, I was playing with my dog when I suddenly I felt really dizzy, like I was going to pass out, and i still feel the same 2 hours on. Last week I thought I was having a heart attack as I felt so awful - really shaky and sweaty, my heart was going a thousand miles an hour and I could hardly breath. I've written a little note to my family telling them how much i love them and i leave it out next to me when i go to bed, just in case i die in my sleep, which is very morbid haha. It's my mum's birthday in a few days but i haven't bought a present yet as genuinely feel like I may be dead by then, (i'm such a ray of sunshine )

I"ve google-diagnosed myself as having so many things over the last few weeks, from heart failure to acid reflux, low stomach acid, sleep apnea and hypothyroidism. I'm just desperate to find out what it is and get it treated.
    I've always had a little bit of anxiety but apart from finding it difficult to speak to people social situations difficult, it's never been an issue for me at all or bothered me in any way. If it is anxiety, it is common for it to just appear overnight for seemingly no reason at all? I'm also really bad at travelling in a car now, i have such shallow breathing, i breathe in as much as i can but then feel I have nothing left to breathe out. I can't travel for more than 15 minutes without having to get out the car for 5 minutes to catch my breath. Is this normal? Am i normal? I feel like i'm going crazy!!
    Eek, sorry for the long message. xx

P.S I feel I should add that the breathlessness isn't due to being overweight, i'm 9 stone and up to 2 months ago was really fit and healthy.

Re: Can't breathe, dizzy, feel like i'm dying. Anxiety?

Hi Caroline,
    It sounds to me like you might have a little acid reflux which, like most people, is exacerbated by your anxiety.

It's most likely that the acid is caused by your anxiety and further fuelling it.

I also have had and do have the feeling that I cant take in a full breath, I used to get this the day after working out and then made it far worse by overbreathing and trying to take in a full breath or yawn.

Whatever the cause, and I do think that it will be very minor, you are very likely breathing with your chest far more than is normal.
    Practice belly breathing and or some relaxation tapes as well.

I'll explain that breathing through your mouth in anxious states and taking more air into your chest will cause diziness, chest tightness, intercostal muscles to work harder (which makes the breathing thing a bad cycle of being less able to breathe in comfortably)

If you want to experiment just breathe fast and hard into your chest for a minute or two and watch yourself nearly pass out ;-)

I hope all this helps and it does all sound very familiar to me personally so try your best to just relax and enjoy your life.

Last year my hair fell out when I was at a good point and didn't think I was anxious at all, luckily it's all grown back now but the body can do weird and wonderful things that scare us witless when there's no need to worry at all.

Finally, if you havent already tried this (and its not comfortable at first)..
    Place one hand on your chest to ensure its not taking air in as you breathe but instead use your belly and diaprhagm.
    Get as comfortable as you can, press your index finger and thumb together and take a large breath all the way into your belly for 4 long seconds.
    Hold it for 8 long seconds and clench that finger and thumb tightly..
    Then Relax..let it all go..purse your lips slightly as you breathe out to make a hissing sound for 9 seconds.

Do this three times and then wallow in the relaxation and easier breathing that follows.

Good luck with your relaxation.
    Daniele

p.s. overbreathing also causes anxiety and adrenalin production, so the clammy palms, sweating, pounding heart, chest pains etc will happen.
    You don't have to be mid panic attack to get all the symptoms to some degree as the adrenalin and crap will stay in your system for quite a while.
    It usually takes a week or even two to feel properly refreshed and back to fighting form.
    Look back with a smile and whisper 'I lived!'

Re: Can't breathe, dizzy, feel like i'm dying. Anxiety?

These symptoms are alllllllll exactly what I've been through. Like you, it seemed to come out of nowhere but the fear of the symptoms spun me into a downward spiral of fears about my health. The biggest, most important thing is to make sure you address the anxiety quickly so it doesn't get worse. Talking therapies like CBT can be really helpful, or if you feel like you may need medication, speak to your GP (and if you don't feel like you're being helped, find another GP!) This all sounds typical of anxiety, so try not to worry yourself. Sending you good thoughts.

Thread Information