Thread: The waiting game- Another Jaco rant

The waiting game- Another Jaco rant

So, I wake up this morning, Friday and everything is fine.

Jumps in my car, feeling good (thank crunchie its Friday and all that), loads the CD player with cool tunes and head off for a 9 am meeting in Stevenage.

For those of you who have never been to Stevenage, its like Monaco in a way. In Monaco, you need to be a millionaire to live there, in Stevenage, you need to have a distant family member with an ASBO to live there (sorry to all Stevenage residents, but take my advice, get out now before the Chav virus gets you).

8:55 am I turn up for my meeting, in a school to see the Head about a WLAN proposal (techie blah blah).

The rottweiler on reception informs me that the head is expecting me, but she has had an issue with a parent and could I wait until 9:30 am.

Naturally I said "Yes, not a problem ", naturally I thought "30 minutes? you chuffin crazy? jeeeeeze".

So I take my place outside the heads office like a naughty school boy, already feeling a good start to the day is ruined. There's me, 2 kids, a kid sneezing all over the place and claiming to have tummy ache (little slacker) and well, what has to be the most annoying kid I have ever met.

So, I look at my watch, not long now, WHAT? 5 past 9? time is crawling by. Little Johnny will not shut up, "what's your name Mr?, what are you doing here?.

Shut up Johnny lad (I am thinking, I don't know about you but when anxiety attacks hit, I am not at my most patient). So I say to the wee chap, "didn't your parents ever tell you not to talk to strangers?" in the hope he would shut up. As quick as a flash, he says "well they don't come much stranger than you". Got to hand it to the little muppet, he got me there.

Not that I was bothered by this teenage dirtbag getting one up on me, but I explained if he was my son, the only thing that would stop me from putting up for auction on Ebay is that I wouldn't want the negative feedback.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, in the turn of a coin anxiety hit me only because I had to wait for 30 minutes in a little waiting room.

I felt shaky (head pressure, nervous voice etc) during the meeting but got through it, and got stuck with anxiety until I got home early afternoon.

I just don't like waiting I guess, or does anxiety cause intolerance of waiting?

Jaco

Re: The waiting game- Another Jaco rant

Erm was I meant to laugh all the way through reading that honey ?

I can so relate to what you mean about having to wait, doesn't any one realise that ANXIOUS PEOPLE DONT DO WAITING OR PATIENCE

All supermarkets should have anxiety no queue checkouts, surgeries should usher you straight in to see the doctor as you walk through the door, and you should be allowed to walk into your childs classroom and grab your child and run as soon as the bell rings for hometime

I hate the waiting game, I fidgit, I fiddle with everything in sight and DON'T ANYONE SPEAK TO ME

Blame it on the anxiety definately lol

Love

Trac xxx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

i thot the same trac im laughin as im reading this,im sorry jaco that you had to go thru that i believe its the waiting the anticapation gets us and gets that ole mind of ours going....but im sure ya did well in ya meeting jaco, take care my friend and yes you do make me laugh and i thank you for that.............Linda xxxx

Hi Jaco

love your post. I work in a school and I know most of them are lovely some of the little darlings I certainly would put on ebay!

I am less tolerant when I'm anxious, maybe its the adrenaline? (Don't have time for this too busy on fight or flight!)

Waiting can be a trigger because you feel trapped. Often a claustrophobic aspect to anxiety, I get it when waiting for something or when stuck in traffic (waiting again) and it makes me feel I am trapped. I know rationally I COULD walk away, but then I'd look really silly, instead of just feeling silly!

Well done for carrying on with the meeting anyway. Anxiety symptoms do take a while to ease off once the situation has passed don't they... So yes, waiting does cause anxiety....but as we all know rational thinking and anxiety don't go together.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.So sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Jaco, sorry but that was soooooo funny! Good on ya mate injecting your personality into that post!

Waiting gets me big time. BUT>>>>>so do kids more than waiting!!! You would find it hard to believe I am a mother of two but I find kids absolutely terrifying!

In terms of being more intolerant when anx, of course you are! It is all you can do to not fall off your chair, mock a heart attack and get someone to call you an ambulance just to get out of there!
    Well done mate!

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

I don't do waiting hun and I don't do gobby kids either - there would have been pringles flying around I can tell ya!!!

Good on ya for sticking it out!!

Piglet

Hi Jaco, know exactly what you re saying its the waiting too much time think analyse etc and wham and smal spaces do it for me too.
    But eh you did it so big (((hug))) for that and know you went thro it but story did make me chuckle Jaco you dont half know how to tell it! just like the pub loo one ao thank you for that it much appreciated.
    heres sending you more hugs for coping today and getting there Jaco
    ((((((HUGS)))))) AND WELL DONE! take care have nice weekend love Gail xxxx

Have a manly handshake chap for dealing brilliantly with a tough situation. As others have said waiting makes the gremlin rub its hands in glee because it can tell you all the 'what ifs?'. I've got to give you credit for looking at the funny side and your post did make me chuckle!

Have a good weekend bud,

Nibbs

PS I hope some of those cool tunes were Marillion

Thread Information