Thread: Had a bit of a meltdown back on 45 mg

Had a bit of a meltdown back on 45 mg

I decided this morning that I could not cope with anxiety accompanied with reducing to 30mg. I could not cope with the non stop anxiety and constant thoughts. I feel as if I have let myself down. I don't know whether the tablets have caused the anxiety or whether it would have been there anyway. I can't cope with obsessive thoughts and gnawing anxiety. My sleep has been disturbed and I wake up feeing bad bad and tearful. Sorry. EJ

Re: Had a bit of a meltdown back on 45 mg

You have nothing to be sorry for EJ...if you need the extra dose then stay with it. You have not let yourself or any one else down. If you needed a certain dose of heart meds to keep you right you wouldn't have second thoughts about taking them so carry on with the dose that keeps your anxiety in check.

Sorry you're going through this ej, I'm having a bit of a setback myself although I'm on 45mg and have been for over a month. I had a brilliant day yesterday and was really pleased with myself. I've had problems sleeping since the beginning and was given zopicline. I decided last night not to take one as I felt in a better place but I didn't sleep at all last night and now all my horrible symptoms have come crashing back. I pushed myself to go out for a short journey but felt really shaky and panicky again - its like I've made no progress at all! How long were you on that dose and did it help with your obsessional thoughts? I'm becoming really scared of the set backs now :(

Annie is right, if you needed meds to stabilise any other condition you'd not think twice so think of this medication as the same, there's no rush to come off them.

I'm sorry you're feeling low, I guess reducing meds is tough, I'm new to taking this drug so I can't offer much advice but if you need the 45 and it does the job then stick with it. Xxx

Hi thanks for everyone's replies. I have been taking mirtazapine for about five years now. This has not been continuous and I have come off it a couple of times. Initially it was used as an add on to the dothiepin and lithium which I am still taking. I came off dothiepin after being on it for about fourteen years. The mirtazapine has definitely helped my anxiety and obsessive thoughts. I'm not sure whether my body needs the mirtazapine or whether I would be anxious anyway. I know that to experience it again is horrible. The incessant dialogue of unwanted thoughts is difficult to control. I have been to work regardless. Thank you for your support.EJ

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Still feeling quite rough and feel as if I want to cry. It is a long time since I cried. As I had run out of lithium tablets also told the GP that I saw that I would take 5 times 200mg that is my usual dose.she was not pleased. Also I need to cancel a repeat prescription trying all day but cannot get through to docs.EJ

Hi EJ

Firstly you have nothing to be sorry about....my goodness me...you did well to even try to reduce the medication and you know your own body so it was the best decision you took to continue with the 45mg!! The last thing you needed was to become any worse so you definately did the right thing!!

Please dont beat yourself up about it...it is clearly not the right time.

I really am sorry that you feel so low and hope you bounce back again (and you will).

Lots of hugs to you

Jo.xx

Hi EJ,

Sorry to see that it didn't go so well. I'm not a Doctor so I'm not giving you medical advice but I just want to let you know what I have read and experienced when coming off or reducing antidepressants.

Firstly THIS is a fantastic guide on how to reduce your dose. Its written by Mind so its genuine.

It suggests reducing by 10% every few weeks so dropping from 45 to 30 is quite a big drop! Also I find this quote from that guide useful

"How can I tell the difference between withdrawal problems and relapse?

There are three ways to tell if symptoms are the result of withdrawal, according to one expert, David Healy, who applied it to SSRIs in particular:

• The problems begin immediately after reducing or stopping the drug. (If the original problem has been treated, it should be some time before the symptoms come back, if ever.)
    • The symptoms disappear if you go back on the drug, or raise the dose.
    • You are experiencing new symptoms as well as some of those that were a feature of your original condition (flu-like symptoms as well as depression, for instance). "

I really hoe that helps you if you decide to give it another go. Don't feel let down, your body has got used to taking a high dose for a long time, it may take some time to get used to it and maybe 45 - 30 is just too much for your body to cope with, which is perfectly understandable!

Keep me updated if you don't mind

Take care

xx

EJ so sorry to hear that you are struggling.

I agree with what the others have said if you need the Mirt then so be it.

I have recently come off Mirt and I found alternating my dose to work for me, I came from 30mg to zero by taking 30 one night then 15 and so on until i was down to 15mg on alternative nights.

Hope you feel better soon, and well done going into work.

Elen

Thread Information