Thread: Chronic morning loose stools

Chronic morning loose stools

I've been trying to get hold of this situation for the past 9 months.

It began with a period of intense anxiety (trouble at work) and bouts of watery diarrhea (3-4 times a day).

For the next 3-4 months, diarrhea stopped and I went through a phase of IBS-like symptoms.
    Cramps, bloating, lower left side pain (sharp or diffuse), etc.

Following that all the symptoms have now passed, except for loose stools in the morning.

I now go only once a day, about an hour after I wake up and grab my breakfast, with very loose stools (but not completely water-y). After that, I seem to be fine for the rest of the day, except for occasional bouts of increased gas (but without bloating).

No sign of blood, stool doesn't float or stick to the sides of the bowl. Smell is normal.

I have always been eating a very healthy plant base diet, with little red meat.
    I do eat a lot of fiber during the day.
    I have always been on the soft side but not so much as what I'm experiencing during these past 9 months and this is the source of my worry.

I've been to 2 GIs, one of them dismissed it immediately as IBS the other suggested a colonoscopy but somewhat reluctantly.

I'm 46 years old, otherwise healthy, regularly exercising.
    I've also had a colonoscopy with clean results 4 years ago, in 2014. That was done because of similar symptoms I had back then, but which had lasted much less than what I'm experiencing now.

The whole thing is causing me debilitating anxiety. I've been avoiding going through another colonoscopy (which none of the doctors seemed to be in a rush for me to do).

I wonder if anyone else has been experiencing chronic loose stools in the morning, as their only symptom?
    Last edited by cookeecut; 02-04-18 at 08:40. Reason: spelling error

Re: Chronic morning loose stools

I’m not surprised you have this being on a plant based diet. I have IBS and have stools all over the place on some days. The symptoms among IBS sufferers vary quiet a bit. Not everything is text book! One thing that has helped me is a calcium supplement. I’m not taking it for IBS, but it has firmed up my stool. That said, I still have diarrhea sometimes. For some folks with IBS, their stools are never “normal”. Since you’ve had a clean colonoscopy fairly recently then I wouldn’t worry too much, especially since none of the doc’s seem concerned! I will tell you that if I was on a plant based diet then I’d never be able to leave the house! I don’t always have bloating and cramps when I have a bout of IBS diarrhea either.

Hi
    Yes I get this. Im fine until I eat or drink and then I have to rush the loo with stomach pains and it will be very loose, sometimes I have to go two or even 3 times. Then I can eat and drink normally for the rest of the day and nothing happens.
    Am going privately in 10 days to have a colonoscopy and speak with consultant - will feed back to you.
    T

I had the same thing, and posted about it on here a while back (click on my username to see the posts) and others commented etc. It lasted a good 6 months or so, but seems to have calmed down now (except on mornings when I have increased anxiety, when it comes back at full force). I had lots of tests (endocrine and colonoscopy) and nothing was found. I have relatively mild IBS problems anyway, but this major diarrhea every morning was really getting me down. My feeling after all this time is that it is anxiety related. The early morning cortisol increase (and remember your gut is a major home of cortisol) plus the build up in anxiety over night/just before wake up, kick-starts the gut in panic mode (even if you may not be feeling so much anxiety in the rest of your body). It has only really calmed down for me since I have got a better handle on my anxiety in general.

All I can suggest is try not to worry about it - at least you get the unpleasantness out of the way first thing and can enjoy the rest of the day more!

Thread Information