View Poll Results: How many drinks (say pints of larger)

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll

10 19.61%

11 21.57%

7 13.73%

5 9.80%
  • 5+

18 35.29%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking alcohol while taking citalopram

Re: Drinking alcohol while taking citalopram

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    I find you do get drunk easier, but the more you drink the worse you feel, its not happy drunk more tired!

I went out drinking for 4 nights in a row, the anxiety on the 5th day was terrible, the symptoms stayed wth me for quite a few good days, not very nice. I would suggest that if you do intend on having a good wash, then I would drink quite moderately, you feel crap the next day but don't we always! Just take it easy and enjoy the wedding!
    Same!!! These days, one glass of wine and I'm anyone's I used to be a hyperactive drunk, but now I'm sleepy and lethargic. Good thing is though, it's made me drink less on a night out if I want to stay late; I'll crash at midnight if I don't stop drinking

I know I shouldnt say this but I love drinking on these meds and have found i get less of a hangover than I used to before. Prior to taking these meds though i have always reacted well to alcohol eg not getting angry or upset just happy and it never effected my mood badly the next day. If though you have found alcohol causes your anxiety/depression to be worse then I would go easy at first and see how your body reacts

I noticed no difference in drinking/hangover whilst on citalopram. I didn't drink too often but when I did it varied from a glass of wine to the odd big night out now and then. The only difference was that since being on citalopram I've drunk less often - but that could also be to do with moving house & a change of lifestyle.

I have been on Cit for 8months and I had my first drink on Sunday.Ihad a glass of champagne and a glass of wine,not small glasses.I felt like i had drunk more but didnt feel bad in any way. I would definately say know your limits as ,it can make you bad if you drink too much. Sue

I have stopped drinking, mainly because, when I do even a couple of glasses of wine, the next day my anxiety is 100 times worse. currently taking 10mgs citalopram, and on good days Im a little anxious.

I have to admit I'm a bit of a lightweight at alcohol so I don't drink too much. I do like a nice shandy in summer tho' as its so refreshing.

I met with a friend on Monday and we went to the pub, and I had a couple of pints of shandy... OMG Usually it goes down fine but, I don't know if it was the meds of what, but I was tipsy... off shandy!!! I mean, lightweightness aside, I don't get drunk off shandy... or well, I never used to

I'm just going to watch it from now on!!!

i started on citalopram two weeks ago.. just upped my dose from 10mg to 20mg & i had a about 5 alcohopops on a night out last weekend & i felt very happy, but not drunk at all (usually that would get me rather tipsy) i was extremely tired tho and when i got home i couldnt sleep. i was not drunk, but in the morning felt like rubbish!

i was also sweating an abnormal amount!

id just advise to take it slow & not to go crazy with the shots!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPoet View Post
    I would question the wisdom of getting plastered though due to the depressive nature of alcohol so make sure you limit your intake and avoid spirits.
    I would agree with this because that's how I feel too if I have had a few beers I tend to go into a very deep depression, it's not a happy feeling either because I feel even worse when I first get up and then could last even into the next day. Nowdays when I have a drink I just make sure I drink just a couple so that I just feel relaxed and nothing more, I think 2 pints is just about right, stretching at 3 but anything after that I think you're not really in control of your emotions properly anymore.

I am glad to see this post because I have wondered about this myself. I currently take 40mg of Citalopram. I have a history of being a pretty heavy drinker. I was anxiety/depression free for a good year or two and then I had a couple consecutive weekends of partying and about 3-4 days after that, I felt the "weirdness" coming on with the anxiety which then led to the depressive feelings.

Drinking on the medication had no effect on me, it the "coming down" a few days later that really bothers me. I have monitored this for a year now and it's pretty consistent that my depressive or anxiety mood is amplified the Wednesday after a weekend of any drinking.

Hope this helps...

Definitely right, when I have a drink (a good drink that is!), It takes at least a couple of days for the anxiety to fade away. Its annoying but I guess we need to get on with our lives and not hang about waiting for things to happen.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information