Thread: Shoulder Blade Pain and Protruding Ribs

Exclamation Shoulder Blade Pain and Protruding Ribs

About 2-3 weeks ago my right shoulder blade started hurting. It feels like that burning feeling you get when you're working out. It's located around the bottom-left of the shoulder blade and mostly only comes on after I'm standing/walking for 10 minutes or so. It peaked a few days after I got it, where it wouldn't even go away after laying down. It's gotten a little better, but is pretty consistent and doesn't seem to be backing off further. I look online for causes and am bombarded with "Oh my God! It could be one of 5+ different kinds of cancers! Go to the doctor immediately!" So I've been freaking out a bit... I've noticed the burning muscle seems to be connected to my neck, since when I move my neck a certain way, I can feel the shoulder blade muscle being pulled a bit and the pain subsides for like a minute. My neck cracks a lot when I move it and it's especially hard to move it back. There is resistance and a mild amount of pain. I've most recently noticed something new (I think) where two of my ribs are poking out on one side that aren't on the other. Surprisingly, I Google that and find that tons of people have it and it's usually harmless. Besides the aforementioned (possible) symptoms, I just have general muscle aches and bone cracking on my right side. Also, I'm 19 and pretty healthy so I keep telling myself that something serious is highly unlikely. So at this point I'm hoping that it's all just a spine-related problem like a slipped disk or scoliosis, but am worried it could be cancer or something. I'm scheduled for an appointment with my doctor on Friday, but at this rate I'm going to have a nervous break-down before then. Could use some calming down, and these forums seem like the perfect place for that. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RJB94; 14-01-14 at 13:47.

Re: Shoulder Blade Pain and Protruding Ribs

Quote Originally Posted by RJB94 View Post
    I'm 19 and pretty healthy so I keep telling myself that something serious is highly unlikely.
    When I read a post invariably I'll find the rationality peeking through and sure enough I did in your post. Keep telling yourself that.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information