Thread: Thyroid levels normal but have to get checked again in 3 months?

Thyroid levels normal but have to get checked again in 3 months?

I got my thyroid hormone levels tested - they asked for a repeat test, and then said that the levels were normal but that the note on the file was that I have to get it checked again in 3 months?

Is it possible it was a borderline result and they want to make sure later? I'm not really panicking, just curious as to why they wanted to repeat and then check again in 3 months.

Re: Thyroid levels normal but have to get checked again in 3 months?

Why not ask them?

I don't think having an under active, or over active thyroid is anything to be scared of. If anything, you would probably feel a lot better if your thyroid was not operating to its max potential, and it would be good to find it, so you can have it treated.

Its nothing serious my friend!

Mine were slightly elevated and I had to be re-tested in a few months, but they were still classified as within normal range.
    It's just a precaution. It's usually to see whether you might have a small infection (the cold I got later that week affected mine) or whether that level is just your normal.

But indeed, thyroid levels are nothing to worry about anyway. And if your levels were normal, they were probably marginally off and they want to see if they remain that way

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    Mine were slightly elevated and I had to be re-tested in a few months, but they were still classified as within normal range.
    It's just a precaution. It's usually to see whether you might have a small infection (the cold I got later that week affected mine) or whether that level is just your normal.

But indeed, thyroid levels are nothing to worry about anyway. And if your levels were normal, they were probably marginally off and they want to see if they remain that way
    I agree!!!

In my post above, I meant to say you would feel a lot better if your thyroid was operating at its max potential. Sorry for the confusion. Any way, it is nothing to be alarmed with.

I tend to agree, I was kind of hoping there would be something wrong (that sounds so bad but you know what I mean) because then I would have an explanation for some of my issues (bouts of fatigue)

I hear ya! I was kinda hoping mine would be elevated, 'cause it would explain my intolerance to heat. Turns out it was all anxiety.
    I don't have the heat problem anymore now either. But it took me well over a year to get over it.
    It's so much easier if it was something physical we could control with a pill!

Update on this, I asked my GP the last time I was up and he said it was because on the first test, my thyroid was overactive, but just barely, and then on the repeat test it was back in normal range. The third test in 3 months is to get a clearer idea.

Can't really remember having any infections or anything that would cause fluctuation but I suppose I'll have a better idea in a couple months.

Thread Information