Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pins and needles in hands and feet!

Pins and needles in hands and feet!

Hello, this is my first visit here. My name is Lisa, I have suffered from panic attacks for numerous years but have usually been able to overcome them on my own but recently they seem to have taken hold of me again and I cant seem to shake them off. :( I also have pins and needles in my hands and feet and sometimes complete numbness in my left hand little finger.

Last night I also had a very tight chest and found it difficult to breath deeply. I once went to hospital in the middle of the night because I had constant pins and needles in my legs and I was worried endlessly! The doctor told me 'I was worrying myself sick!' I just need to advice and reassurance as it is getting me down.

hello there Lisa,

I often get pins and needles in my hands and feet. It can come for no reason and go away just as quickly. I have always found that ignoring it is the best way to get rid of it because as soon as you manage to distract yourself, your brain forgets that it is happening. It's a very normal symptom of anxiety and it will do you no harm so don't worry, you have nothing to worry about!!

Sarah

Ok thanks Sarah, I'll certainly try!

Hi lisa

welcome to the site and forum

i will have pins and needles in my hands and thieghs when im having an attack. this may be the lack to oxygen getting into the body?

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

Hi Lisa

Dont worry too much about it as it will make the symptoms seem worse. It is common to get pins and needles and that tight feeling in your chest as though you cant breath. The more you worry about it your anxiety will heighten and be worse. So when it happens try to relax as best you can and take your mind of the situation by preoccupying yourself with something you enjoy doing.

Take care.

Love Sal xxxxx

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the site. All of the symptoms that you have described are commonly associated with anxiety and panic attacks. They are just part your body's reaction to the adrenaline that is being released and the changes in your breathing when you are panicking or anxious. Although i know that they can be very scary (they are symptoms that i've experienced many times), there is no way that they can cause you any physical harm.

Relaxation, breathing exercises and distraction techniques are all things that are easy to learn and will help you keep these symptoms under control.

Take Care, Andy (pootle)

Hi Lisa

Welcome to the forum.

The pins and needles is quite common I am afraid but nothing to worry about.

Read this previous post ..

Pins and needles in fingers and toes

Nicola

I stumbled on this site whilst looking for reassurance that my irregular heartbeat realy was nothing to worry about and found that i'm not alone which is such a relief, my other BIG worry is the pins and needles in my hands and feet and numb fingertips - I 've been so scared I can't even discuss it with my laid back husband - the thing is that these things happen when I'm not at all panicy or worried, sometimes just watching TV and feeling calm so can it really be anxiety - the worry when it does happen, particularly the ectopic heartbeats is taking over my life and making me so unhappy and tearful, I am just so happy to have found this site. Can it happen to others when you are not aware of being stressed at all - in the middle of a relaxing monment or at work etc?

When I am scared or startled, like a near miss in the car, or something, I'll get pins and needles in my hands. Takes a few seconds for them to go away. Glad to know other people get this too.

I also get pins and needles when I get anxious. My lips can sometimes go numb and my face too. Recently I feel as though someone is literally pricking my skin with a needle - a new sensation for me!! It's very reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has these weird and wonderful sensations!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information