Thread: agoraphobia & anxiety

agoraphobia & anxiety

hi.i have recently been diiagnosed with agoraphobia & anxiety i have to rely on my daughter to do my shopping because i now feel i cant leave the house, i live on my own, i feel no one realy understands and think i'm lazy.
    did not think this would happen to someone my age (56) im waiting for counselling will this heip.

Re: agoraphobia & anxiety

Hello there and welcome to this wonderful site! Sorry to hear you have agoraphobia and anxiety - I have the same (I'm 53 - grrr ). I honestly think that you'll get a lot of understanding and benefit from counselling. They'll probably teach you ways to look at what makes you scared/panicky etc and then work on ways for you to overcome this.

I live on my own now too and, like you, have to rely on family and friends to get me from A to B. It's really rotten knowing you're dependant upon people but I guess everyone is to some extent?

You'll find loads of good advice here at NMP so keep posting.

Wendy xxxx

thanks for your advice.

Hi Dennis

I'm 52 and also have agoraphobia and panic/anxiety attacks. I have been having counselling for the past 9 months but have also had several bouts in the past. I have always found counselling useful but this time has been better than ever before. Mainly I think because I have been more honest and open than before.

Counselling isn't an instant cure and its success depends on how you work with the counsellor. I feel that the more I understand about the reasons why I react the way I do then I feel able to do something about changing my behaviour. I have also found it helpful to be given small tasks/exercises to do by the counsellor. When you first go ask as many questions as you can. I hope you find it helps you I would be still glued to my chair if I hadn't had mine. Best of luck

Hi there,

I dont know how long you have been having your symptoms but it is surely a postive step that you came here for support from people who can relate to your experiences and also that you are waiting for counselling.

I had my symptoms for a long time before it was realised what was actually wrong, and have had varying degrees of agoraphobia/avoidance due to fear of panic attacks. I hope that your problems are relatively recent and that you can get some help to deal with them sooner rather than later.

Take care
    Freaky

Thread Information