Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have to start, will it help anxiety/panic

have to start, will it help anxiety/panic

hi to you all please advise/help
    Is this as good as escitalopram? I was on that a few times but it stopped working and after trying trazodone which turned me into a zombie dr prescribed prozac. I have had tablets for 3 wks but so scared its gonna make panic worse I havnt took them, but I am now getting desperate, panic through the roof and severe tension headaches. will these help? has anyone had relief from panic/anxiety?

Re: have to start, will it help anxiety/panic

Never helped me with panic and anxiety at all - just helped more with depression to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

that really made me feel better about taking it - not!

it has help a lot of people in the past and will continue in the future. everyone is different.

I've never taken Prozac personally, but my best friend was in a really bad way a little over a year ago, with a health issue triggering panic attacks and developing depression as the doctors scrambled to find out what was wrong with him. He was first given Xanax, which actually made things worse for him. Next up was Ativan which caused less issues than the Xanax for him, but still didn't provide a lot of help.

Prozac, in his case, helped to incrementally subdue the depression and also eased the panic attacks. Once the doctors identified the origin of his health issue and treatment for that began, he made great strides. At present, he is in the process of weaning off the drug. But at no point did he have any issues, other than just before he started to cut back, when the Prozac was beginning to make him apt to fall asleep if he sat for more than five minutes at a time.

With just about anything, there is some risk. Since antidepressants help some folks while making things worse for others, there's no real way to know except giving it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

Hi Rooby, I haven't had a panic attack in more than a year since I got settled on to Prozac. I did have a couple - literally two - while it was getting into my system. I have been on it twice now and I've found it really good but unfortunately as Mtatum says the only way to find out if it's for you is to try it. I wish you good luck x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Quote Originally Posted by rooby View Post
    that really made me feel better about taking it - not!
    Sorry it didn't help but I am only telling the truth with how I was on it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thanks to you all, I still haven't had the nerve to take the first tablet, I have read about so many mixed reactions that I have panicked myself even more. I am inclined to starting back on the lexapro instead as at least I know what to expect. But as it stopped working for me last time I am hesitant.
    It was good to read that it has stopped panic attacks for some of you at least. thankyou for that.
    I think because i'm depressed, these decisions about meds have become huge issues and overtaken my already drained/overworked mind

If it helps then I had no really bad side effects whilst I was on Prozac. All I remember was a bit of dizziness but nothing at all like I felt when I tried Citalopram once for a week.

I also stopped Prozac cold turkey with no major withdrawal either.

It is one of the better tolerated drugs.

Give it a go you have nothing to lose I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rooby View Post
    thanks to you all, I still haven't had the nerve to take the first tablet, I have read about so many mixed reactions that I have panicked myself even more. I am inclined to starting back on the lexapro instead as at least I know what to expect. But as it stopped working for me last time I am hesitant.
    It was good to read that it has stopped panic attacks for some of you at least. thankyou for that.
    I think because i'm depressed, these decisions about meds have become huge issues and overtaken my already drained/overworked mind
    Rooby, here is a prime example of how a given antidepressant helps one but not someone else. You had some benefit from Lexapro, at least for awhile, but it was an absolutely hellish experience for me - I would never consider taking it again, although I would be open to trying a different SSRI if the need arose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information