Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fish oil

Re: Fish oil

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    I was reading about Krill oil for Crohn's earlier - going to try it.
    What levels of EPA should I look for? Healthspan offer 62mg or 149mg.
    Not sure I buy all my stuff like that from "my protein" it's cheap and always good quality.My mom has bad arthritis and it's really really helped her,it definitley reduces inflammation

Thanks MrAndy.
    You'd think that my consultant might advise me of this stuff, since Crohn's is an inflammatory disease which affects the joints as well as the bowel, but he never has.
    I'm prepared to try anything!

The my protein pills are 70mg epa

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    Thanks MrAndy.
    You'd think that my consultant might advise me of this stuff, since Crohn's is an inflammatory disease which affects the joints as well as the bowel, but he never has.
    I'm prepared to try anything!
    It makes sense it should help you then,it took about 3 weeks for my mom to notice a real difference.She was shocked it worked so well but tells everybody she knows about krill oil now !

I'm less sure on red krill oil. I did look at that but its very expensive and in terms of EPA & DHA, it delivers far lower than much cheaper supplements in normal cod liver oil. I don't understand this. I realise its absorbs better but there doesn't seem to be a ratio issue here e.g. X low value delivers Y high value at 10:1 ratio.

So, I'm questioning whether its more marketing.

Chickpea - for inflamation, something I'm looking into for my sciatica issues to save going the medication route, I'm finding some interesting resources in turmeric, garlic, beetroot and Montmorency cherries.

These cherry supplements are used for gout and they are getting some good reviews. They are also high in melatonin.

Also Serrapeptase looks an interesting one. It seems to have some links to treating Crohn's and IBD http://www.inflammation-systemicenzy...e.html?start=1 Have you looked at probiotics?
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 22-11-14 at 08:57.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I'm less sure on red krill oil. I did look at that but its very expensive and in terms of EPA & DHA, it delivers far lower than much cheaper supplements in normal cod liver oil. I don't understand this. I realise its absorbs better but there doesn't seem to be a ratio issue here e.g. X low value delivers Y high value at 10:1 ratio.

So, I'm questioning whether its more marketing.

Chickpea - for inflamation, something I'm looking into for my sciatica issues to save going the medication route, I'm finding some interesting resources in turmeric, garlic, beetroot and Montmorency cherries.

These cherry supplements are used for gout and they are getting some good reviews. They are also high in melatonin.

Also Serrapeptase looks an interesting one. It seems to have some links to treating Crohn's and IBD http://www.inflammation-systemicenzy...e.html?start=1 Have you looked at probiotics?

Hi Terry,
    I've tried serrapeptase and I felt good on it. May try it again - a friend gave me a tub and I haven't bought any more since I finished it.
    Garlic is a NO, funnily enough - it's a high FODMAP food, which causes problems in people with digestive disorders. (I'm about to trial the low FODMAP diet).
    I'll look into cherries and beetroot, thanks.

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Forgot to say - I've recently started taking probiotics. Too soon to say whether they're helping.
    Last edited by chickpea; 26-11-14 at 23:20.

Bumping to add a useful website.

This is a useful Omega 3 "all about" website http://www.dhaomega3.org/Frequently-Asked-Questions which was useful as some of the questions are not easy to find information about via Googling.

Great website, thanks. I'm going to try taking fish oil supplements soon. I need to look through this thread for more info.

I take:
    Vitabiotics Ultra™ Cod Liver Oil Liquid and its pretty good 50:50 ratio

Omega-3 Fish Oil 4.52g –
    Cod Liver Oil 4.52g –
    Together providing:
    EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) 968 mg
    DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) 878 mg

Vitamin A (667 IU) 200 mcg RE
    Vitamin D (as D3 400 IU)10 mcg 200
    Vitamin E11mg α-TE

Quote Originally Posted by nedmcg View Post
    I take:
    Vitabiotics Ultra™ Cod Liver Oil Liquid and its pretty good 50:50 ratio

Omega-3 Fish Oil 4.52g –
    Cod Liver Oil 4.52g –
    Together providing:
    EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) 968 mg
    DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) 878 mg

Vitamin A (667 IU) 200 mcg RE
    Vitamin D (as D3 400 IU)10 mcg 200
    Vitamin E11mg α-TE
    That ones pretty high in cod liver oil and the EPA & DHA matches one of the Seven Seas products although yours has a different vitamin profile. What is it like on price as in my Tesco they don't have that product although they do stock some of their others? The Seven Seas equivalent is £4.60 per bottle which lasts a month.

Some fish oil products can be 4-5X the price but I'm not sure how much better they are.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That ones pretty high in cod liver oil and the EPA & DHA matches one of the Seven Seas products although yours has a different vitamin profile. What is it like on price as in my Tesco they don't have that product although they do stock some of their others? The Seven Seas equivalent is £4.60 per bottle which lasts a month.

Some fish oil products can be 4-5X the price but I'm not sure how much better they are.
    i pay about £9.00 online for it but Holland and Barrett have it for about £11.00

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information