Thread: Anxiety and chest pain

Anxiety and chest pain

I'm house sitting for my son while he's overseas.
    I used to live here twenty years ago in this very house but left during a very traumatic time in my life.

It's supposed to be a holiday and in every way it is because the accommodation is 5 star with a pool and servants. My husband is with me and we're enjoying this time on our own.

But I'm plagued by chest pains which seem to be caused by excess trapped wind.
    I have HA so naturally any chest pain causes more anxiety.

I'm pretty sure it's caused by anxiety because in the evening it disappears completely and my appetite returns, also I have no pain during the night.

I'm thinking that returning to this house is churning up old memories, which in turn is causing anxiety and chest pain.

I'm trying so hard to relax and I haven't told my husband because I don't want to spoil his holiday.

Hoping for a bit of reassurance to help me.

Thanks

Re: Anxiety and chest pain

Hi!
    Yes, anxiety does indeed cause many physical symptoms, including chest pain. It is due to disorganized traumatic memories polluting the nervous system that need to be sorted out somehow.

Thank you for your reply. It's difficult to deal with memories that I thought I had overcome years ago. I really didn't expect my body to react in this way. I've had these pains in my chest for more than a week now, ever since I got here. They are also causing me more anxiety. Deep down I know what they are as they move down to my stomach at times and then disappear in the evenings. Just can't stop worrying though

Quote Originally Posted by Beckybecks View Post
    Thank you for your reply. It's difficult to deal with memories that I thought I had overcome years ago. I really didn't expect my body to react in this way. I've had these pains in my chest for more than a week now, ever since I got here. They are also causing me more anxiety. Deep down I know what they are as they move down to my stomach at times and then disappear in the evenings. Just can't stop worrying though
    Yeah, I get what you mean, I've also had some mild pains related to anxiety and such, for example, when I am anxious, I feel like my shoulders are like stoned and they kind of tremble and hurt a little all the time and it disappears during evenings, because in evenings, cortisol levels are much lower than mornings and people usually tend to feel less anxious.
    You have to write and experience your past, all the traumatic things. You need to try to stop running away from them as they will manifest themselves in different pains, chronic anxiety, depersonalization disorder, social anxiety etc.
    You need to re live your bad times and fully experience the sad and painful emotions.

Today I've had my first anxiety and pain-free day, thanks to your reassurance.
    I do wonder if it's possible to rid oneself of traumatic memories. I've seen psychologists and had counselling and therapy. I really thought I'd got over it. I suppose coming back to this house after 20 years was something I needed to face and maybe now I've done it things will get better.
    Thank you again for your reassurance and helpful advice.

Thread Information