Thread: Low heart rate

Low heart rate

Hi I recently developed a slow heart rate anything between 52 and 66 it was normally in the high 80/90s but over last few days it's getting slower I don't exercise I'm on thyroxine has had half thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer I'm really scared my heart is just going to stop I'm waiting to have a 24 holter fitted is this normal please help

Re: Low heart rate

Hey, sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it right now.

Firstly, if your GP/hospital are already aware of the situation, they wouldn't leave you at home if they thought there was any chance of anything serious occurring. Secondly, is it possible that the slowed heart rate is linked to your medication and/or removal of part of your thyroid? Make sure you get the questions answered by a medical professional when you see one. It must be very scary, but it sounds as though you are already getting the right help, which is great.

Hope you start to feel better soon

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

Thank you for your reply the doctor said it could be that my heart had just gone back to its normal rythum like you said just very scary as I've been used to it being high I do suffer with HA around my heart as suffer with palpitations so maybe I shouldn't worry to much

I also suffer with HA and worry about my heart a lot, so you are definitely not the only one!

If your doctor is aware and monitoring things, then that is reassuring, and like I said before, they wouldn't leave you alone to see how things go, if they had any worries about the problems being at all serious.

Hope your day is going well

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

Think it's not helping me checking my pulse every 5 mins and taking blood pressure and I have one of them oximeter things and they give different readings my pulse is nice and steady just very slow for me it's horrible isn't I can't get on and enjoy my life in constant fear over my heart

80s/90s resting heart rate isn't normal and 52 - 66 isn't slow. They're pretty specific numbers, you need to stop checking your pulse. I've been through it, I know it's not easy.

Thank you no its not easy I get a funny feeling in my chest and then I find myself checking it I get like a tightness then a weird feeling but I'm guessing that's the anxiety well hope it is one minute I can feel normal then for the rest of the day I'm feeling rubbish

Thread Information