Thread: Tonsil/Oral Cancer Fears... + Venting

Unhappy Tonsil/Oral Cancer Fears... + Venting

It's hard to start writing anything here without admitting that I've lurked these forums for years now - & have consistently been able to find posts that echo [whatever my current fears happen to be]. I feel like I SHOULD sit here & try to come up with just the right way to describe how sincerely my health anxiety has been ruining my life for the past five years, but that's also sort of why I've never posted here until now: it's really hard to put it into words. I feel constantly torn between KNOWING & being FRUSTRATED by my own irrationality, & consumed with existential terror that I might find out I'm dying tomorrow. Ever since my grandma got colon cancer, this is what I've been going through. Every few months, it's some new scare (cancer, typically), & I'm just a wreck for weeks on end.

This time... it's my throat. And I feel dumb. Because I keep telling myself that I have an explanation for what's going on it my throat, but then an hour later, I'm back to thinking, "well... but what if that's not what's happening? What if it's worse? What if this is the one time you're wrong?"

A few months ago, I noticed a large white spot on my left tonsil. It didn't hurt or bother me much; I just happened to notice it. From the endless amounts of googling, I think I've concluded that it's probably a cyst or a difficult tonsil stone. I've never had much trouble with my tonsils. In fact, I saw an ENT a few years ago & her exact words were, "your tonsils are small & boring." They're still small - so small that it's actually really hard for me to mess with them, & I have to constrict my throat a little weird to even SEE them. But I got so worried about the white spot, wondering if it was something I could just DEAL WITH myself - like other people with tonsil stones seem to do - that I got one of those Waterpik things to try to flush it out.

Well. The day after I used the Waterpik on my tonsil, it started hurting. Immediately started hurting. And when I contorted my throat awkwardly to view it again (because I'm obsessed with my throat right now & keep checking it every few hours), I noticed a sort of... ulceration. It's an irregularly-shaped whitish spot with a reddish outline, & although it seems to have gotten a little better since that first day (not hurting as much now), it's been a week + one day now & it hasn't completely gone away.

1) since it's not round, I can't guarantee that it's a canker sore. 2) I keep reading that oral cancer looks like a sore that won't heal, & this one doesn't seem like it's healing. But 3) I DON'T HAVE ANY RISK FACTORS FOR ORAL CANCER. I'm 31 years old, never smoked, never had HPV (as far as I know), & I haven't even had alcohol since I was about 22. (Some might say I'm boring. I might not disagree.) And 4) I HAVE AN EXPLANATION FOR HOW IT GOT THERE. Right?

So why am I driving myself MAD with worry over this spot in my throat?

Re: Tonsil/Oral Cancer Fears... + Venting

If anyone has got it, it'll probably be me with all my symptoms. I can even see what looks like a papiloma on one of my tonsils, but my doctors still seem unconcerned.

I'll just say it again... I'm a head and neck cancer survivor. Nothing described even raises a red flag as that's not typically how it presents (that goes for you too TGoat!).

The rule is, if you have a lesion or node that hasn't resolved (or started to) in three weeks, see your doctor.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

i have an "inclusion cyst" that my dental hygienist found 6 months ago. it was dx as such by an oral surgeon and an ent. i never noticed it myself. it is on the right side near the tonsil. doctor said it may go away but probably not. he said no need to do anything. what bothers me is just that it's there and my hygienist said it looks a little bigger than it was 6 months ago. i can not even bear to look in my throat any more but i remember it just looked whiteish/flesh colored and round. it does not bother me except since i am a great health anxiety phobe i start feeling something in my ear and now i am getting the globes feeling just knowing it's in my throat. have you gone to the ent? you should go and get a dx to put your mind at ease. please let us know . good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mariasandy View Post
    i have an "inclusion cyst" that my dental hygienist found 6 months ago. it was dx as such by an oral surgeon and an ent. i never noticed it myself. it is on the right side near the tonsil. doctor said it may go away but probably not. he said no need to do anything. what bothers me is just that it's there and my hygienist said it looks a little bigger than it was 6 months ago. i can not even bear to look in my throat any more but i remember it just looked whiteish/flesh colored and round. it does not bother me except since i am a great health anxiety phobe i start feeling something in my ear and now i am getting the globes feeling just knowing it's in my throat. have you gone to the ent? you should go and get a dx to put your mind at ease. please let us know . good luck.
    In your case if your dental hygienist has noticed change in it's size (still doesn't mean it's anything serious though) its best to ask your Dh or dentist what it is outright. It does point to your HA problems though so best get that dealt with too ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I'll just say it again... I'm a head and neck cancer survivor. Nothing described even raises a red flag as that's not typically how it presents (that goes for you too TGoat!).

The rule is, if you have a lesion or node that hasn't resolved (or started to) in three weeks, see your doctor.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts
    Thank you FMP

I'll find out soon, got an appointment with another ENT, so will keep my thread updated with any news.

Thread Information