Thread: Insomnia on Sertraline

Insomnia on Sertraline

Any tips on how to deal with insomnia while on sertraline? Does this go away?

Re: Insomnia on Sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP12 View Post
    Not sure about your dose, etc, but most side effects went away after a week or so for me.
    It’s 100 mg, been on it since beginning of the year. Insomnia only started few weeks ago.

When do you take your sertraline? morning or night? I used to take them first thing in the morning but played havoc with my stomach, still does to a degree, but not as bad as when I first took them, I never took them at night, as far as sleep goes, I find I still wake about 4 in the morning but manage to fall over again quite easily, I have heard if you take them at night then you might have sleep problems.

I've been taking it in the evening. Have changed to taking it in the morning since yesterday, going to see if this improves things.

Update: been taking sertraline in the morning for 3 days now, insomnia seems to have resolved.
    Last edited by USER12; 15-11-17 at 22:48.

I've still been getting sleepless nights, thinking of changing to a different med. Going to discuss with the doctor. What other meds have people found helpful for anxiety/depression apart from sertraline and citalopram?

Quote Originally Posted by USER12 View Post
    I've still been getting sleepless nights, thinking of changing to a different med. Going to discuss with the doctor. What other meds have people found helpful for anxiety/depression apart from sertraline and citalopram?
    Have you made a decision about this? I had insomnia for a few weeks on Sertraline and then it went away. Now I only have the occasional sleepless night. Is the sertraline working for you otherwise?

Sertraline was working well before insomnia kicked in. Now I feel anxious most of the time.

One month on 50MG Sertraline and it's taking hours to get to sleep and then constantly waking up throughout the night. Any thoughts on this please?

I had really bad insomnia for the first four weeks but it started to get better after that. In the end I was pleased I'd stuck it out because the benefit was well worth it. The therapeutic effects seemed to coincide with a lessening of side effects which was most welcome.

Taking it first thing in the morning helped me with insomnia, although still get it occasionally. Progressive muscle relaxation also helps.

Thread Information