Thread: Long lasting throat pain

Long lasting throat pain

Hello everyone.
    I'm having a sore throat issue.

About a month ago, I had the flu pretty bad. It lasted two weeks. At one point I went to Urgent Care, they did the flu-test on me, and sure enough, I had Influenza Type B. I took my medication and got better (but what a miserable two weeks that was). However, one symptom never went away... a mild sore throat.

I feel silly complaining about it, because it really is mild... but persistent. The pain is only on one side (the right side). I can go through the day without it acting up at all, but once I start talking, I can feel it. On a scale of 0-10 (0 meaning I don't feel it at all), talking will bring the pain level up to a 2. If I start laughing, talking a lot, singing along to something, etc, it'll rise to about a 4 or 5. The temperatures of the liquids I drink also affect it. Hot coffee or ice water will make it go from 0 to 4 almost instantly when I swallow, but then it quickly subsides.

For the first few weeks, I ignored this because I just had a really awful flu where I was coughing A LOT, and I just assumed that the flu had damaged my throat and it would be a matter of time before it healed itself. Well, I'm now about a month out from the flu, and this throat pain is still there. I go from not worrying about it to suddenly being quite paranoid. Looking up throat pain symptoms doesn't help because there's such a range from "it's fine" to "you have Cancer", lol. Problem is that I have **NO** other symptoms. I feel fine. Heck, fantastic. This mild pain on the right side of my throat is just lingering along and I don't know what to make of it.

I do have a physical scheduled with my PCP next month. But in the meantime, I'm wondering what actual people think (and not just random articles that don't know the background of the situation). Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Re: Long lasting throat pain

I just noticed your thread sitting there below mine not getting a response so thought I'd leave you a message of encouragement. (Hopefully :-) ). It's probably just a lingering sore throat and after doing some googling of my own, it seems very common.

Sore throat is also one of the many anxiety symptoms too apparently, do you have anxiety? In that case it could be that causing it too.

Let us know how you get on at that doctors!

Re: Long lasting throat pain

This is weird! You have almost the EXACT same issue that I’ve had for the past 5 months!!! I wake up feeling great, ANY amount of talking makes the problem begin (scratching, niggling “pain”) and talking loud or at length makes it become more obvious and painful... I say painful though but it’s more an annoyance like what you described.

Now! Mine began randomly over a week or so period after I woke up with a burning throat (probably reflux caused) which went within an hour.

I’ve had the following tests and all that anyone can find is very mild irritation near but not on my vocal cords:

6 flexible direct laryngoscopes from 3 different ENTs

1 ultrasound of the throat and a thyroid blood test

I’ve got a direct rigid laryngoscopy planned next week which allows the ENT to see my throat better and I’m put to sleep during this.

I’ve tried every reflux med you can imagine, paracetamol, ibuprofen, lozenges, cold and flu tablets blah blah, nothing changes the feeling!!

I also bring up phlegm from the same side the pain is on and sometimes the phlegm tastes like it does if you’ve ever had tonsil stones.

Anyway! I could go on... but our issues sound the same and I can’t get to the bottom of it! My mind tells me I should be reassured by all the cameras I’ve had but it also tells me that an issue I’ve had for 5 months and that ain’t getting better HAS to be cancer.

I’ll add that eating and drinking make the issue better for the duration I’m eating and drinking, it almost soothes the feeling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information