Thread: Trouble swallowing everything

Trouble swallowing everything

I have had bouts on and off for years with my swallowing. This time around it has lasted over a year now. I can swallow pretty good right when I wake from sleeping, or when I have drank a bunch of alcohol. I can’t even swallow water, or my own saliva. It seems as if I focus on my throat while swallowing, and my brain will tell my throat halfway threw to stop. I’m afraid that I’m going to inhale my food one of these times when my throat stops. There has to be some mi f of help for this. I feel like I’m going to die from not eating enough. I do eat a lot when I first wake up in the morning, but about an hour after being up my mind starts thinking about swallowing, and I start having anxiety about swallowing f. My mom died from choking. So this has to be a lot of the fear. I had this fear before her choking though. Just never this bad.

Re: Trouble swallowing everything

Quote Originally Posted by dtimmons83 View Post
    I have had bouts on and off for years with my swallowing. This time around it has lasted over a year now. I can swallow pretty good right when I wake from sleeping, or when I have drank a bunch of alcohol. I can’t even swallow water, or my own saliva. It seems as if I focus on my throat while swallowing, and my brain will tell my throat halfway threw to stop. I’m afraid that I’m going to inhale my food one of these times when my throat stops. There has to be some mi f of help for this. I feel like I’m going to die from not eating enough. I do eat a lot when I first wake up in the morning, but about an hour after being up my mind starts thinking about swallowing, and I start having anxiety about swallowing f. My mom died from choking. So this has to be a lot of the fear. I had this fear before her choking though. Just never this bad.
    So sorry you are going through this. Ask your GP for a try of low dose diazepam/valium. It helps give you that relaxed feeling when you wake up and you're able to swallow ok.

My swallowing also gets worse during the day. Can swallow my morning coffee fine and then it just deteriorates after that.

Diazepam has helped me alot however GP's don't like prescribing it. Its the only thing thats worked for me.

Re: Trouble swallowing everything

Hey. Thanks so much for the reply. I can swallow almost normally when I first wake up. Like you said, it gets harder as the day goes on. I’m on Klonopin, and Buspar. I just started the Buspar a few weeks ago. It’s weird how I can wake up and eat, but. Can’t later. I’m living on breakfast and insures for breakfast m. I don’t eat for the rest of the day. Maybe I can find some help in here. The drs can’t do much

Thread Information