Thread: Help! Citalopram side effects!

Help! Citalopram side effects!

Hi,
    I’m hoping someone can help me. I’ve been in citalopram 30mg for a long time and have in the past couple of months changed brands. Since then I have been experiencing sweats, internal shaking, increases anxiety, crying for days, nausea , loss of appetite, tiredness and dry mouth. I’ve been like this for nearly 6 weeks. Has anyone else changed brands and experienced side effects like you’ve started a new drug? My old brand has been taken over by this new one so I can’t go back to what I had before.
    Any help would be appreciated. I just need to feel that it will eventually go.
    Thank you in advance.

Re: Help! Citalopram side effects!

So sorry to hear this. Yes generics for most antidepressants are awful and not consistent in my experience even though the doctor and pharmacist will usually tell you there is no difference because they all have the same active ingredient.

I always insist that my doctors prescribe me brand-name antidepressants as I cannot tolerate generic brands. You should go to your doctor and tell him/her that you cannot tolerate the side-effects of the generic brand and ask to be prescribed cipramil.

I don't care about generics of any other medication, only anything that messes with my mental health.

Re: Help! Citalopram side effects!

Hello.
    If the only change has been switching from brand-name to generic citalopram, then that may the cause of your renewed side-effects. However, I have not personally experienced this after switching from brand-name to generic citalopram.
    After 6 weeks, the side-effects should be subsiding, but if not, then you should go back to the brand-name. If you want to stay on generic for less cost, you can ask you doctor for a benzo until your body settles.

Thread Information