Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing the toilet

Needing the toilet

Hello,

I have just joined this website and I think it is great.

My panic attacks always leave me wanting the toilet desperately, I am not sure if its the worry of not finding a toilet that leads to the panic attack or the panic attack leads me to want to go to the toilet.

Which ever way it has made my life a complete misery, I have suffered now for over 18 years and it started one day out of the blue when I went to climb on a bus and froze and felt I needed to go to the loo. Ever since then it has been a big problem and has ruined my life. I really hope I can find some help on this site and advice that will help me to lead a more comfortable life.

Any help would be great.

Thank you

Kim

pippa, for many of us this started so suddenly although if you look back your thinking for a while was probably negative before the actual panic. i no that i was tired and very vulnerable when mine walloped me up the face one day.lol

going to the toilet is such a common symptom as you will see if you read the "symptoms" section

most importantly you are not alone
    jackie

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your support, I would like to know how I can help myself and feel that I dont need the toilet, do you have any advice where I could start?

Here is Needing the toilet that might help to reassure you Pippa.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

hi what u describe is so common i was like that for ages .the more i worried about it the worse it got.then something else took its place and now i worry about that.you can have symptoms linger for a long time its all part of the anxiety its learning to accept and let go.which i am still learning to do.you are certainly not alone there is plenty of advice here.welcome to no more panic take care marcia

i have to do it for my kids if not for myself marciaxx

Re: Needing the toilet

Sadly I know how your feeling Ive had this now for 8 years, i read the back of a leaflet (medication) and it said Diarrhea side effects, all that night I was worried I might need to go, i was looking for a toilet all not it was horrible. After that I was constantly looking for a toilet just in case. the fear beat me sadly, Ive been in the house (agoraphobic) for the last 7 years and I just cant go out, because i know that my fear actually triggers of those physical affects. I d love it if someone had a solution, but I dont see their being one.

sounds to me like you might be suffering from IBS. I suffer & have some symtoms. I advise you to go see doc & get him to make a proper diagonsis, Best of luck. xxx

hey

i no exactly how u feel

I ALWAYS feel like i need to go to the toilet when i get anxious.

I suffer from nervous stomach/ibs and have to go to the toilet about 4 times before i even leave the house.

To be honest- i am better than i was.

For me i had to first understand what was happening to my body- if you read the symptoms signs under the main menu it explains it in there but basically if you feel anxious then your body reacts to the situation you prepare for it and prepares to fight or flight

That means it wants to get rid of any wanted waste in your body NOW that means you will suddenyl feel like you want to go to the toilet and your insides are made of water- its a horrible horrible feeling and believe me i know exactly what u mean. But think abotu this - if you didnt eat for 5 days and then you where going to go out of the house you will get anxiouis and suddnely need the toilet- now theres no way that you need the toilet becuae the body is getting rid of unwanted waste- you stimulate the bowel and intestine nervous by thinking in your brain about going out and this triggers the anxiety.

Accidents however are extremely rare- our bodies were trained to hold onto the stool until we find a toilet- i know at the time you feel like u cant hold it in or u feel like u just made it on time but if your are tellin yourself u need the toilet u will

here are some tips-

1. If you are out where a pad and dark clothing that will make u feel confident
    2. Know where your nearest toilets are
    3. There is medication you canm take that will calm the bowels and stop them from working (only avail from docs)
    4. When you start to feel like you need the toilet ensure that you breathe in and out and tell yourself that youve been already- there is nothing dangerous and harmful and just wait few minutes until get home or get into shop etc (this takes a lot of time btu you will be amased how changing the way you think will change the way you feel.)
    5. Distract yourself with scenery, books, ipod anything that will take your mind off it

PM me if you want

xx

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
    - Lao Tse

There is a UK toilet phobia group on Yahoo and all it's members have similar problems to you. I haven't got the url, but you should be able to find it if you search in the groups section. I found it helpful to chat to people with same probs as me.

For what it's worth I have both types of loo probs, my IBS is such that I take Immodium before I go on any type of lengthy trip, or sometimes need it to just get out of the house. Also, when I panic I find I have to pee desperately every 15 mins or so. I KNOW this is just the adrenaline being expelled, but still it is a nightmare when I am not driving!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information