Thread: Some ideas to mix and match

Some ideas to mix and match

Here are some of my favourite coping strategies at the moment:

1) Aromatherapy oils:

As well as dear old lavender, I find geranium fantastically calming, and mixed with rosemary a good pick me up. I don't think anyone has mentioned ylang ylang, which is not only good for general anxiety, but also good for re-igniting a sex drive!

2) Making shopping lists

I don't know how detailed a list people make, but I used to jot down the odd thing I needed to remember. At the moment I make really detailed lists, in the order of the aisles in the supermarkets, so I don't have to think too much about what to buy ( and therefore do battle with the fuzzy head!). But it's also useful if I start to panic, not only as something to focus on, but also as something to look at whilst calming myself down without feeling I look odd to people. I'm just checking my list!

3) Audio books

I love reading but am finding it hard to concentrate at the moment so am listening to a lot of audio books. Most libraries have a really good selection now. Particularly love anything read by Michael Palin. He has such a relaxing voice! And any BBC comedy. Even one of my friends at the height of his OCD and anxiety found this useful.

Hope this is of help.

Thanks for that!! Any tip is always useful!!

Sarah

I loved audio books when I was acute. Brilliant for long drives when scared.

Especially the journalist John Simpson one where he describes being scared stiff setting off on an assignment.
    He
    describes it so familiarly that I always thought - if it's ok for him to keep going and survive - its ok for me too.

I use May Chang for a instant uplift and 'feeling low' reliever Its always got me a good appraisal too !!

www.essentiallyoils.com is a great supplier.

Its easier to just ring them then plow through all the oils options. I got to the point where I ordered lavender by the 50 mls instead of the tiny bottles and it was much cheaper.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
    If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
    Robert Albert Bloch

Thanks for the link, Meg.

I used to find the Red Dwarf audio books (and reading books) good for when I was anxious

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

I've used aromatherapy oils for many years, but just recently I haven't. Thanks for sparking off the idea again. A friend has just given me a book to read, something i haven't done for many years, Another light bulb has been switched on Cheers..........Tara xx

I recommend the Boots pillow and room sprays. There is a peppermint and nutmeg pillow spray and a lavender and cedarwood room spray which are both delicious smelling and relaxing.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

They sound really nice! *dashes off to Boots*

Can anybody recommend a relaxation cd? I know there's the priory one, but any others?

Thread Information